Hi from newbie in Alberta

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Lindsay and I live on an acreage east of Edmonton, Alberta (Ardrossan area). I'm 62 years old and have no machining experience to date. I came across a couple machining videos while looking up another interest on the internet and thought it looked like it could be a fun hobby.

I have a Craftex 701 lathe and 601 mill on order. I have been reading up (you-tubing) on machining as well as trying to collect up some necessary tooling and equipment while waiting for the arrival of the machines. I've only read a few threads so far (mostly focusing on machine specific topics). A big thanks to those who take the time to post their knowledge, experience, drawings and pictures. Things like this are invaluable to a newcomer.

Cheers,
Lindsay

Welcome Lindsay. I'm a beginner as well. I'm starting my first model engine--a wobbler--this holiday.
Good luck with the engine. I expect it will be some time before I'm ready to begin my first engine. I'm currently concentrating on getting the machines, basic tooling and DRO's. At the current rate it'll probably be March before I'm ready to go. There will be a fair learning curve from that point, so possibly, maybe, hopefully attempt a basic engine next winter.

Good luck with the engine. I expect it will be some time before I'm ready to begin my first engine. I'm currently concentrating on getting the machines, basic tooling and DRO's. At the current rate it'll probably be March before I'm ready to go. There will be a fair learning curve from that point, so possibly, maybe, hopefully attempt a basic engine next winter.
I got my first lathe (a 1944 Logan 816) about 2 years ago, followed by my Chinese Enco 8x35 mill about 18 months ago. I've used both for a few things, but the wobbler is the first set of plans I've followed. It's a lot harder than just getting something the right size, single point threading one shaft, etc. I've already learned a lot, and I'm only on my second day.

Hi Lindsay and welcome to the forum. I’m hoping winter stays like this until spring and then can get warmer. You may know all these places but here are a couple of useful links to local suppliers (local as in Edmonton southeast) you can check out are.

Busy Bee Tools - Busy Bee Tools - Woodworking Tools, Metalworking Tools, Power Tools at factory direct prices.

I’ll assume from your hardware that you know your way to Busy Bee Tools. Yeah I know Busy Bees in the Northwest.

Thomas Skinner & Son Ltd - https://www.thomasskinner.com/

United Tool Supply Ltd - https://unitedtoolsupply.com/

Thomas Skinner and United Tool Supply are both industrial tool suppliers, very knowledgeable and helpful staff. They are more expensive but not by all that much and the quality is like night and day. The best is they’ll sell to us hobbyists when we only want 1 or 2 of something and no minimum orders.

Metal Supermarkets Edmonton - http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/edmonton-south/
One stop shopping and from the drops bins you pay by the pound.

John-Tom - http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans.html
Free engine plans.

Happy new year. Stay safe

Hi,

I always recommend that people join a 'local' (always a relative term) model engineering club - you will learn more in an hour working with an experienced lathe/mill user looking over your shoulder than you will in a year of trial and error and dubious advice from the less reliable sources

I teach engineering apprentices - it takes five or six years of college and practical working experience 40 hrs a week to qualify as a machinist in the UK. So if you spend a couple of hours every evening - 14 hrs a week - reading and studying the text books, working on your machines, then in about 15 years or so you will be as capable as a newly qualified machinist! The moral of these comments is be patient, do not let 'failures' and 'mistakes' get the better of you and remember that there is no substitute for spending time 'making stuff'

But..... a few words of serious advice:

Read up and follow safety guidance (always use eye protection and chuck guards, never work round machines while wearing loose clothing, long hair, gloves, etc, etc). I was taught to use a lathe and mill in 1969 and still have two eyes and all my fingers (one thumb is a bit thinner than the other, but that was due to an interaction with a meat cleaver in the kitchen). You will see some really stupid things being done by some people.

Never use compressed air to clear away swarf, whatever you may see on the Internet or hear from 'experts'

Always remember that you are the softest, most easily deformed, thing in the workshop

Finally, treat your machines as you do your best friends - you need them just as they need you. Talk to them kindly (everyone needs love and machines are no different). And remember that when things go wrong, it is your fault not theirs....

Most of all, have fun

Ian

Latest posts

Back