hey

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itowbig

Reaction score
im just trying out my new os on the puter. got rid of microjunk and switched to ubuntu . i really like it but i need to know more on how to use it better. right now having problems with printer install but ill figger it out soon enough. hey you all have a nice day got to go work now later :bow:

Good luck with it. I gave up on the *buntus after too many systems killed or rendered terminally wanky by updates.

I'm running a few OpenSuSE servers at work, strictly on my own initiative, and even those I'm pretty careful when it comes to what I'll patch. It's not perfect, but it's doing what I tell it to.

bad luck no printer for me so now need to change to deferent flavor maybe debian any body got recommendations

I'm guessing you have 8.10 installed... what printer are you trying to use?

Like I said, I've settled on OpenSuSE.

Not because it's the best, but because it seems to work (plus I like YAST), and I've come to see that all distro hopping teaches you is how to install Linux in a dozen different ways.

As for printers, I've never had trouble *but* I am in a networked environment at home and work both. I have no directly connected printers. All of my printing is over ethernet to corporate class printers (HP Laserjets, Xerox Phasers...) and any OS that can't handle those isn't worth bothering with (which is to say I've not found an OS that can't handle such equipment).

If you're into the debian-based stuff, you could try Linux Mint. It's been decent to me, generally.

Or grab yourself a cheap older model office-class laser printer like an HP4000/4050/4100. I've a lot of love for the old Laserjet 4 and 5 as well. Slower, but built like tanks, and all I've ever had to do with junked ones is replace the exit rollers to fix exit jamming issues.

Thank you for moving me to the right place.

Burntcav ive a lexmark x4530 seems im out of luck untill i can find some one to right a code for it. (im not smart enough yet)

mark-one ya ive been doing the distro jumping but have not tried suse yet.
i had an hp printer but it was 5 years old and it started doing weird things like losing the drivers and printing when it felt like it. i cant complain about it ,it did serve a good life sometimes abusive. so i got a lexmark for the wireless part and it works good on windblows but cant find the stuff to make it work on ubuntu

It seems that particular printer is nothing more than a glorified paperweight when it comes to any linux distro.

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X4530

The apparent reason is the particular drivers needed for that printer are written/developed by folks in Redmond, as such, there are no Linux drivers available...

If all you need is a printer and not an all-in-one, HP has the best Linux support out of the printer companies.

Since you also asked for a recommendation, I'm partial to the KDE desktop (Kubuntu for example) over Gnome (the desktop style Ubuntu has) since I switch back and forth between Windows and Linux - Windows at work, Linux at home. This way, its an easy transition back and forth. I'm dabbling with Fedora 10 at the moment. Tried Freespire, but it kept failing on the first reboot after install.

i had a really good hp all in one printer its dead now gone to the machine shop grave yard. it work good for 5 or 6 years (a lot of printing scaning )i wanted a wireless printer as the kids need to have acess to printing for school. this one works really good dispite what ive read about then useing to much ink. this thing prints a lot and its still got plenty of ink left. but it dont work for ubunto . thants to bad cause i really like ubunto too. :big: im daul booting win2k right now with ubuntu

Unless they need colour (I come from the standpoint that colour is a luxury, not a necessity), then a decent used laserjet is a great way to go. Cheap to operate for one thing.

If you've a wireless network, then I assume you've got either an access point or router. Printer just plugs into a wired connection on that and Bob's your uncle.

HP even makes a program for locating and installing network printers. I use it on my servers when I'm feeling lazy ;)

Most decent Linux distros do that out of the box, of course...

Win2k was the best OS Microsoft made, IMO. After that they just started getting in your face and burying things beneath more and more layers of wizards.
It's like cell phones. I want a cell phone that works first and formost as a phone. Vendors have lost their way with these swiss army phones that have strayed from their core functionality, compromising it in the process. Best cell I ever had was the old motorola flip, may it rest in pieces. Every phone I've had since has been utter shite. For an OS I want it to stick to doing what an OS is for: A platform through which (third party) software interacts with the hardware through a common interface.

I have no time for fluff, nor any respect for products that put form ahead of function.

I'd still use Win2K myself if I didn't have several programs that are XP only. :(

My XP looks and feels like Win2k though ;)

Never been much of a gnome guy, so I've left Ubuntu behind (their KDE product did not impress).

KDE 4.2 is finally becoming a usable desktop environment, too, after the horror show we were prematurely treated to last year.

Back