HELP!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadin

Reaction score
I need ideas on how to cut several slots in a small piece of steel. The slot needs to be square bottomed.
I'm thinking about the only way is to use a file, but where can I get a file that has "safe" sides (only cuts on the edge.)? It can't be any more than 1/8th thick.

Here's a rough drawing of what I'm trying to make (The measurements aren't necessarily correct, but close)
The piece is made to slide on a length of .500 x .125.

slider.jpg

I have file that are like that but I'm not sure where I got them. They were in a needle file set so they do exist.
Or you could look for a small woodruf cutter.

Needle files with teeth on only the edges are available. Alternatively, find a conventional small file and make the safe faces "safe" by grinding the teeth off.

Have you considered making your part as a fabrication of two pieces silver soldered together? Fabricating the slot thusly might be easier than trying to file it.

Marv,
Yes, I considered that. (It's my fall-back plan) However I'm trying to replicate the original if possible.

In looking at this again I wonder if I could mill the slots with a 1/8th end mill and then square up the bottoms with a file? (I'm not looking forward to filing 4 slots and trying to keep them looking good. (My filing technique leaves a lot to be desired.. ;D)

Dean

Hi. I f I'm interpreting your drawing correctly you can make it from a bar .815" x .500" x 1-1/2" standing up in a mill vise.

Use and end mill for the upper slots (2) , and a #204 woodruff key seat cutter (1/16" x 1/2") on the other. Both cutters can be shifted to widen out to dimension.

-MB

Could you not heat a piece of steel up and form the part over a mandrel? probably a more accurate way than filing.
If you decide to file, try "roughing out" with a junior hacksaw first. Filing generaly doesn't bother me, but i do find needle files a slow way to remove metal. Handles are too bloody small as well!

peatoluser, That sounds too much like blacksmithing! ;D (I don't do blacksmithing.....yet)

MB,
I hadn't even thought about a keyseat cutter... I like it!!
If I can get a good grip with the vise and clamp it in flat, I should be able to cut all four slots in two passes.
(I'll first have to mill a clearance slot for the shank, but that's no problem.) If I feel that there's not enough "meat" to get a good grip on it, I can alway leave the stock a little thicker and then flip it over and face off some from the other side after milling the slots.

Looks like I'll be sending an order off to Enco...................... :bow: :bow:

deadin said:
peatoluser, That sounds too much like blacksmithing! ;D (I don't do blacksmithing.....yet)

MB,
I hadn't even thought about a keyseat cutter... I like it!!
If I can get a good grip with the vise and clamp it in flat, I should be able to cut all four slots in two passes.
(I'll first have to mill a clearance slot for the shank, but that's no problem.) If I feel that there's not enough "meat" to get a good grip on it, I can alway leave the stock a little thicker and then flip it over and face off some from the other side after milling the slots.

Looks like I'll be sending an order off to Enco...................... :bow: :bow:

Or, you could use a taller piece and cut off the upper milled out part with a band saw or hack saw. Put it back in the mill face down, and mill it down to the correct thickness.

-MB

Yes, leave it attached to extra material (a handle to hold onto) until you're done with the slots, then cut it to final size and clean up the last edge.

Back