Help with used lathe Purchase!!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt750

Reaction score
I saw this lathe for sale near me on FB marketplace. When I contacted the individual about his asking price (8k) I thought is was high. I tried search google for some price comparison and found nothing. For the pictures he posted I was able to get a little info of the brand. It is a MSC 14-50G gap bed lathe. Could someone provide some info or maybe what is would go for used? TIA

1648478792641.png
1648478803308.png
1648478816874.png

My internet connection is slow so I couldn't look but, find out what a msc 14x50 lathe is going for brand new. Then find out what all the extras like chucks that didn't come with it new, collets and extras cost. If everything costs 10k you might be better to buy new. If every is 16k you might have a good deal. Also condition is a big factor. If it's lightly used great bit If it's wore out you might want to pass at 8k.

Also a 14x50 is on the large side of the hobby scale. The 14 is nice but the 50 inch between centers is pretty long. I have a 14x40 but have plenty of room for it. If your shop has limited space you might want to pass and wait for something shorter.

Not trying to talk you in or out of anything. Just pointing out a few things to consider. Best of luck in your search.

At 8000 I would probably go for a brand new one, spend more than 8000 or go to a much smaller size. (possibly both :cool: at same time).

CH - 400 Machine tools, Lathe, conventional lathe, CNC lathe, slant bed CNC lathe, flat bed CNC lathe, lathe manufacturer
2nd hand for about 4000-5000 USD in working order a new chuck was 500 USD, a brand new follow rest was below 150USD.

As far as I remember these green monsters sell for about 12000-14000$ plus whatever needs to be done to get it from door to door and through customs.

Next option: roughly same work envelope with some hobby machines. Presumably very different price tag.
It weights a ton (literally).

Cyclematic CTL-20 Taiwan Tool Room Lathe Machine Manufacturer :)

Greetings Timo

Last edited:
MSC is an industrial supply house and does not make lathes. Their lathes are produced by various Taiwanese or Chinese sources (which does not make them bad, btw). That price for that lathe used is pretty high unless there are a lot of accessories and very little wear. For that money there are a number of lathes you could purchase new, maybe a little smaller, with various chucks, tool holders, DRO and other accessories to meet your needs.

I saw this lathe for sale near me on FB marketplace. When I contacted the individual about his asking price (8k) I thought is was high. I tried search google for some price comparison and found nothing. For the pictures he posted I was able to get a little info of the brand. It is a MSC 14-50G gap bed lathe. Could someone provide some info or maybe what is would go for used? TIA
Just do a search of "14-50G gap bed lathe", I did this with duckduckgo, as google tries to show the top searches with advert vs info. First hits were all same auction site where this same model sold for $1675, but after tax and 18% buyer premium final price was $2100.
I purchased an import 18x40 lathe in 2004 for $7500 new, that didn't include shipping, and I had to hire a crane company with a big fork lift to put that 5600lb lathe on my shop floor. It came with a 3 jaw with 28 thou runout, and a 4 jaw with loose jaws. The upgrade to Bison brand 6 jaw chuck (12") was $2400 back then. My lathe has a D1-8 spindle mount nose. The real oddity is the taper of that nose is a 90mm metric taper, even though the manual called it a #6 Morse taper.

There's nothing wrong with a large lathe if you also do repairs, that hole through the spindle is a limiting factor of small lathes.

View attachment 135397View attachment 135398View attachment 135399
My 13x40 GRIZZLY. I'm in at about $6,500 - $7,00 with all collet and tooling. About 12 years old .

Attachments

• 20220329_085225.jpg
    20220329_085225.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 115
I think you can do better, there is some corrosion from coolant or moisture ???

The lathe has some quality features with its chuck mounting system and three shaft saddle, however, way over priced such a machine.

My 16x40 in similar condition cost about $500.00. I admit I got a deal, but 8k seems like what you would pay for a whole suite of used tools.

I bought a Grizzly 4003G which at that time cost close to 4000$. the price is highger now, but Mark T. has one and several other people. It is 12X36". I have no complaints except for small things. I recommend it. Of course tooling is extra, but for 8G, you can easily spend another 4G on tooling.

It's smaller length is important as too long means you needs a lot of space. You probably rarely will ever need 14" and most likely never use the gap bed. Altho' I have had times I wanted tuo use a gap.

As a off side comment, I have a MSC branded surface grinder and MSC denies its existance and no parts available. Something from another make might fit, but try to find them might be hard. Don't need anything.

As a off side comment, I have a MSC branded surface grinder and MSC denies its existance and no parts available. Something from another make might fit, but try to find them might be hard. Don't need anything.
Does your surface grinder look like this:
https://www.cncwmt.com/product/mj7115/If so, I got mine from Harbor Freight (1991), and Grizzly currently is selling the same one.

No, looks like a 6"x12" Boyer Schultz only Mine is 8"x18". Cannot find a picture that might not be copy writed.

I have the Grizzly 4003G 12 X 36 (Gap Bed) and find it to be a very nice lathe. I added a DRO and a collet chuck. It came with everything else it needed. Paid $3600 but that was a few years ago.

Mark T

First thing I noticed was the dirt and the rust. The price is way to high. Even if there exists tooling in the drawers It will take a lot of work and cleanup. Not sure what voltage it is. I suspect it was brought in from somewhere else. There are no indications of use based on the dirt so the question is why? It could be bad, But you could offer a fairer price of what it might be worth. That is a fair strategy. And without knowing more it would be right around scrap value.

Latest posts

Back