Help with parts for "Bouncing 2 Stroke"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandron

Reaction score
I want to build Jan Ridders BOUNCING 2 Stroke which can be seen here
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f43/bouncing-2-stroke-model-engine-19568/

Problem is finding the high quality glass syringe called for in the plans.

It calls for a "Fortuna Optima" 20 ml glass syringe with glass tip. Found them at Midland Scientific @ $11.00 each but they, and other companies I have found on the web say that sales is "restricted". Did find one place and other brands but they wanted over $50. each.

I explained to Midland what I wanted it for and even sent a copy of the plans and stated they could ship without the plungers. Got email back saying sorry but company policy to only sell this type of equipment to laboratories and schools.

Even checked on ebay and could not find correct style.

portlandron,
If you are in portland, or you might try this place. They have a retail counter so you can go in person and maybe find a substitute.

http://www.nurnberg.com/
Nurnberg Scientific
6310 SW Virginia Avenue
Portland, OR 97239 USA
Phone
800-826-3470 (Continental US)
503-246-8297
Fax
503-246-0360
Email
[email protected]

Usual disclaimer, I am have no affiliation with them but I have done a some small business with them.

Pat

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Pat but tried them first and they don't have the size/style needed.

Hi Portlandron,

I'm looking for the same syringes as you because i'm building a combustion engine (Also from Jan Ridders). The link is: http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_1-cilinder_glas_4takt/1cil_glas_frameset.htm

The good point is that I've found a company that wants to ship these syringes to a private costumer, the bad thing is that they are asking &#8364;25 small order costs. If you tell me you want these to, I can buy a bunch of them and ship a few of these to you. The price of 1x Optima Fortuna Syringe +-&#8364;10,77 including taxes. Small order costs are &#8364;25 (for orders <&#8364;350). And I'll have to ship them from Holland to the UK for u.

I'm planning on cutting the glass with this:
acf9652.jpg

But it's still a "need to buy" item. Tried to cut a glass tube with a normal glass cutter, and spinning the test-glass around in a corner, but I failed to make a perfect totaly around cut.

try this for cutting a glass tube. Try it on a glass or bottle first.
fill with oil to cutting line. Heat a poker or steel bar to red hot
and immerse in the oil.Used this method a lot many years ago
always worked for me.You just hear a click and bingo a neat straight cut
on the oil line. Regards Barry

Bazmak, some people say u need to use the oil for cutting the line, but when heating it should be removed because otherwise it would burn 'into' the glass? Yesterday I've been using boiled and normal water to heat the score and cool it down again.

But u used the same type of cutter and got a straight clean cut?

srdevil thanks for the offer but I got two off of ebay yesterday.
I have cut glass tube before on the lathe. Mount in a three jaw chuck with rubber pads on the jaws. I have a small diamond coated disk on a 1/8" shaft that I mount in the tool holder so the edge comes in contact with the glass. Place a small container under the contact area and drip water on the cutter as I run the lathe and advance the cutter.

Last edited:
I can't find the video right now but there's a great one of a leadlight artist on Youtube, and he simply holds the cutter in a fixed position, and spins the glass around to get a perfect line, then he runs the glass bottle under a hot tap for a little bit, and then puts it under another tap running cold water. Each time he had a pretty spot on break giving a clean edge.

Cheers, Ian

Portlandron, was the diamond coated disk rotating, or u was only rotating the Fortuna Syringe? And whats the name of the ebay seller? I can't find any on ebay, maybe he has some more syringes left (maybe didnt put them online for selling (yet)). He might be cheaper for me than the other company I told u.

@Arrggh, I've seen his movie. If i might try the Glass tube cutting tool mentioned above, I hope these test tubes and syringes also crack because at least the test tubes should be 'heat' resistant.

Have you seen the glasscutter Jan Ridders designed? It is on his website.

Jim

I've seen his cutter, but I don't have a dremel. And since I don't wanna screw the lathe machine on my work (ill be making the parts on my work in spare time) with glass dust. I've ordered the glasscutter shown before and will try cutting the glass for the carburetor first. I've ordered a few tubes so I can try before I'm gonna waste the expensive syringes. Maybe it isn't the most perfect and straight cut, but I dont mind using a sandpaper to solve the 'not superb' edge.

Last weekend I was cutting beerbottles with a normal glass cutter and it didn't look that bad at all while everything was done by hand and turning it around in a corner against the wall.

I had already mailed that particular ebay guy with syringes, but he doesn't have anymore.

I've been cutting my glass syringes yesterday and it was much easier than I thought. With my test-tubes I had problems that after making a scar I wasn't beable to make a clean 'break'. I've been using the Glass tube cutter as shown in this thread before.

However some friend borrowed me a glass cutter with diamont tip
diamondglasscutter.png

I've been making a LEGO Build with a few wheels for a bearing and bricks for making the correct dimensions for the tube. A standard that was a 'bridge' over the syringe and I've been placing the cutter on top of the syringe in the standard. Pushing the point down and making the syringe turn was making a good enough scar.

After than I've been putting boiled water on the scar and the glass was breaking very soon. Temperatures of this all should have been below 100 degrees because the water was just boiled.

When u are intrested contact me if u want to buy my left over syringes, at this moment I've 3 syringes left. (Optima Fortuna 20ml Glass Syringe, Luer Lock Tip, made by Poulten & Graf GmbH)

I got the plans also have question about the spark. What is used to make the spark to the plug?

Dave

Hi Dreeves, I don't fully understand the question, but do u mean the white plastic that has the plug inside? (Teflon naturel)

Sorry. I want to know what type of coil circuit is used. Is it a coil or an ignighter ?

Dave

The used circuit is from a gas igniter, bought in a dutch store called "Blokker". Probably also avaidable in other countries, but the circuit might be different. As I'm not an expert with this I can't help u with other circuits.
I've been buying two of these igniters because I couldn't find the extra needed "high voltage ceramic capacitor", and since there is already one in the igniter I've bought another one to use that capacitor.

If u need some help with this circuit or need 1 or 2 igniters I can ship them to u.

VB_1902701.jpg

Last edited:
Back