Help on 8X12 Harbor Freight Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Lathe Nut. I made a rough schematic so, as much as for my own use, I cleaned it up. Let me know if this helps.
Kind regards, Al

Attachments

• 8x12 wiring schematic.jpg
    8x12 wiring schematic.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 3
By accident I came across this wiring diagram. It was originally posted to this forum. The drawing appears to have split the switch into a top and bottom half. It may or may not help. Not sure how the copying process will turn out. It is supposed to be for the lathe you are working with. It has some wire colors and terminal labels. It took a bit to decipher the circles at the bottom.

Attachments

• 93990-8x12-wiring-schematic.jpg
    93990-8x12-wiring-schematic.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 3

harborfreight8x12, first off thanks for the pics, yes on the two threaded holes below the spindle shaft, you would think with all the quality built into this machine that it would have a tumbler gear lever, thanks so much for the drawing, I might try it today, worse I can do is blow the second switch or a cap., will let you all know what happend if you see smoke coming from S W Louisiana, that means it did not work.​

HMEL, it is what you did that someone beat you its that you are trying to help me learn through this, I did save them to file, printed one and in the note book with the lathe in case of need again, I want to thanks you all for your help, probably will be in need again before this project is done, Lathe Nut, Joe​

It looks like Al beat me to it.
Lol. You are right, I should have labeled the circles at the bottom as to "top" and "bottom", but I think Lathe Nut can decipher it from his own pictures of the 'rat nest' wiring. All of you following this thread all agree that the wiring diagrams included in the owner's manual are useless.
Kind regards, Al
PS I purchased this 8x12 lathe back in June 28, 2007 for $549. Back in those days Harbor Freight allowed you to order overweight items delivered to the store without a shipping fee. So, out the door with taxes the 8x12 cost me $598. Never a moments problem from this lathe, worked perfectly straight out of the box with no adjustments needed.
Your friend, Al

Attachments

• Packing List - original.jpg
    Packing List - original.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 4
Hi Lathe Nut. Attached is a copy of the original packing list. Down the page at #9 is a list of all the gears with their corresponding tooth counts.

Attachments

• Packing List - original.jpg
    Packing List - original.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 4

harborfreight8x12, first off thanks for the pics, yes on the two threaded holes below the spindle shaft, you would think with all the quality built into this machine that it would have a tumbler gear lever, thanks so much for the drawing, I might try it today, worse I can do is blow the second switch or a cap., will let you all know what happend if you see smoke coming from S W Louisiana, that means it did not work.​

HMEL, it is what you did that someone beat you its that you are trying to help me learn through this, I did save them to file, printed one and in the note book with the lathe in case of need again, I want to thanks you all for your help, probably will be in need again before this project is done, Lathe Nut, Joe​

Hi again. Did I ever send you the LatheMaster owner's manual for the 8x12? I think it's a little better (but not by much) than the Harbor Freight owner's manual. Sadly, Mr. Broussard at LatheMaster has gone out of business, he was located in Baton Rouge and I bought parts from him. Hope this helps.
Regards, Al
PS Over the years I have made much of my own tooling for the lathe, thereby cutting expenses drastically. One tool that if find most helpful is attached. Easily made with 1/2" square stock and a skate board bearing. Oh, and a carriage stop to keep the tail stock in place.
Yours, Al

Attachments

• LatheMaster8x14.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • CarriageStop_02.jpg
    CarriageStop_02.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CarriageStop_04.jpg
    CarriageStop_04.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 4
  • CenterJig_03.JPG
    CenterJig_03.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 6
  • CenterJig_06.JPG
    CenterJig_06.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CenterJig_07.JPG
    CenterJig_07.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 5

harborfreight8x12, Again want to thank you so much for the simplied wiring diaghram, gosh did not know that one could simplify a rat nest of wires, it was easy to follow, when I turn it on the it will not turn but does want to in both directions, I am assuming that it is one or both of the capisators, when I recently wired it before the correct was it made a bank expression, I like the old man at the motor shop he is almost 90 real smart but is like a woman with PMS, if he is in the mood will do it, if not he will run you out, thanks for the packing list and the parts breakdown, it will take a little getting used to, that is a fine built machine after taking it complete apart can see that more quality and precision built in it than some of there other products, will be glad when i can say that it works, I again want to thank you for you time and valvable information, Joe​

harborfreight8x12, I appoligize I did not thank you for the copy of the Lathe Master and the home made tooling, I plan on having a carriage clamp and have been putting off makeing the tool with the bearing on it, seen them on the Tube they look like they work great, Thanks again, Joe.​

harborfreight8x12, I appoligize I did not thank you for the copy of the Lathe Master and the home made tooling, I plan on having a carriage clamp and have been putting off makeing the tool with the bearing on it, seen them on the Tube they look like they work great, Thanks again, Joe.​

Hi. That tool with the bearing has been indispensable for me, with it I can center stock in the 3-jaw chuck with zero runout. Some machinists say that you can do the same with a piece of derlin but I love my bearing. The carriage clamp was a quick and dirty build and rides the ways perfectly. I decided not to invest in quick-change tool post system and just made extra tool holders from scrap and they work fine. I also scrapped the stock tool post clamp and made one that never gets in the way when turning.

Attachments

• Tool_Post-clamp_03.JPG
    Tool_Post-clamp_03.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 3
  • QCTP_03.jpg
    QCTP_03.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
  • QCTP_02.jpg
    QCTP_02.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Tool_Post-clamp_02.JPG
    Tool_Post-clamp_02.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 5

harborfreight8x12, I like to make rather than by if possible, I have not made one yet and have a lot of bearings and even delrin, I like working with that stuff, like that tool post, did you turn the ball ends, good job, I did make a drop deck frame with locking casters to put a metal cabinet that I got at a yard sale, the cabinet was 27 inches tall by the time I would add the 3 inch caster it would be at the height I like so I made the drop deck frame, I will post a pick it was still stickey form the fresh paint job to handle, maybe to day I can get into towm and get the capisators tested.​

harborfreight8x12, I like to make rather than by if possible, I have not made one yet and have a lot of bearings and even delrin, I like working with that stuff, like that tool post, did you turn the ball ends, good job, I did make a drop deck frame with locking casters to put a metal cabinet that I got at a yard sale, the cabinet was 27 inches tall by the time I would add the 3 inch caster it would be at the height I like so I made the drop deck frame, I will post a pick it was still stickey form the fresh paint job to handle, maybe to day I can get into towm and get the capisators tested.​

Hi Joe. Yes I did make the ball ends for the tool post clamp. I made a ball turner, actually two of them, pics attached. Also made several M2 tapers, but I also bought some because they're so inexpensive. The M2 tapers with the 3/8" x 24 thread are perfect for recycling drill chucks and the 1/2" x 20 thread are perfect for recycling 1/2" drill chucks, the M2 are great for the tail stock. One of the ball turners is of the "yoke" type and the other is of the "over the top" type. Fun making and using.

Attachments

• BallTurning_07.jpg
    BallTurning_07.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 5
  • Ballturning_09.jpg
    Ballturning_09.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Ballturning_11.jpg
    Ballturning_11.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Ballturning_16.jpg
    Ballturning_16.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Ballturning_19.jpg
    Ballturning_19.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Joe. Yes I did make the ball ends for the tool post clamp. I made a ball turner, actually two of them, pics attached. Also made several M2 tapers, but I also bought some because they're so inexpensive. The M2 tapers with the 3/8" x 24 thread are perfect for recycling drill chucks and the 1/2" x 20 thread are perfect for recycling 1/2" drill chucks, the M2 are great for the tail stock. One of the ball turners is of the "yoke" type and the other is of the "over the top" type. Fun making and using.

Attachments

• DrillChucksMT2_01.jpg
    DrillChucksMT2_01.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4

harborfreight8x12

Nice work, I need to make me a ball turning tool, you had plans or just like I do sometimes, one step at the time trial and errow until I get it, I like you keep all the chucks to make such extra tooling, I built a tapper attachement for the 7X10 and might build one for this one, I will attach some pics I got a metal cabnet at a yard sale, perfect to store things for this lathe, It would have been to high with casters and 2X4 laying flat so I made this to set it low to the floor, I call it a low boy, next is to get the cabnet sanded and painted, thanks for the show and tell pics, Joe

Attachments

• low boy.jpg
    low boy.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • cabnet.jpg
    cabnet.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 3

harborfreight8x12

Nice work, I need to make me a ball turning tool, you had plans or just like I do sometimes, one step at the time trial and errow until I get it, I like you keep all the chucks to make such extra tooling, I built a tapper attachement for the 7X10 and might build one for this one, I will attach some pics I got a metal cabnet at a yard sale, perfect to store things for this lathe, It would have been to high with casters and 2X4 laying flat so I made this to set it low to the floor, I call it a low boy, next is to get the cabnet sanded and painted, thanks for the show and tell pics, Joe
No plans Joe. Just made from materials on hand and from searching YouTube for ideas. The "yoke" type is the simplest to make but very limited in size. The "over the top" can make varriable sizes but reqires a lot fiddling with the cutting tool to get the geometry right.
Regards, Al

No plans Joe. Just made from materials on hand and from searching YouTube for ideas. The "yoke" type is the simplest to make but very limited in size. The "over the top" can make varriable sizes but reqires a lot fiddling with the cutting tool to get the geometry right.
Regards, Al
Thanks, I am going to check on different designs, hope to get that cabnet painted this weekend and get it on the dolly, then start back on the lathe, again thanks so much for the wiring diaghram, nice and simple the way you drew it, Joe

Thanks, I am going to check on different designs, hope to get that cabnet painted this weekend and get it on the dolly, then start back on the lathe, again thanks so much for the wiring diaghram, nice and simple the way you drew it, Joe
Simpler to wire than a Cincinnati Tray Top. Bob in Maine

Yes your correct and also putting back together a 21" Southbend, fellow gave it to me and he took most of it apart and could not put it back together, got a bucket of wires and switches, keep all that for last and built the courage to takle it,

Yes your correct and also putting back together a 21" Southbend, fellow gave it to me and he took most of it apart and could not put it back together, got a bucket of wires and switches, keep all that for last and built the courage to takle it,
How are doing with the work on the Tray Top? Bob

Hello my ex-neighbor and friend. How are you and were you able to get the HF 8x12 working to your satisfaction? As I said before, mine was ready out of the box and I simply love it to death. I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on any of the other offerings from Harbor Freight.
Kind regards, Al

Back