help needed with TIM-6 ignition system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariz

Reaction score
well, as someone may just know, I bought the TIM-6 ignition system from Hemingway kits (for the scuderi engine)

I broke the hall sensor too, and the vendor was so kind to send me another one for free

but I'm not able to have a working system: no spark at all, nothing
to power the ignition I use an AC power adapter of those that are used to power radio and small devices at home. it is regulable on 1,5-3-4,5-6-9-12 Volt and I tried it on 3 and 4,5 (not over that, because I misured the voltage with a tester and at 4,5V it gave 5,9V!)
the system would run from 4.8 to 6 volt, but it doesn't work
the LED flashes when I pass the magnet onto the hall sensor, but the coil doesn't work, I think, because I don't see any spark

now the LED is always lighting, also without passing the magnet on the sensor, so maybe that I broke the second hall sensor too

I'm thinking to mount a pair of breaker points instead of the hall sensor with magnet, but I wish also to do some sort of test to see where is the problem
what can I do?

Those little power supplies you mention can only put out a small amout of current. When your coil circuit needs a large 'jolt' of current, it over loads the little 'wall wart' and the power supply's voltage falls to near zero while it is overloaded.

Get holder for some D cell batteries, or pick up a little 6 volt lead acid at walmart.(toy dept has them for little electric trikes)

Kermit

Kermit's right (was there any doubt?). you need a power supply that's capable of delivering several amps. You can get a 4.8v rechargeable battery pack and charger that's typically used for RC cars & planes that should work pretty well. I have one of those that I picked up on EBay. You can also buy them at most hobby shops and places like Fry's Electronics.

Chuck

thank you very much fellows
I just thinked to have broke the coil or the sensor

well, I'll try with a more capable power supply or battery :D

Hi ariz,

I bought the Tim-6 system for my Lynx engine and at first I had the same problem.. the led was flashing but no spark, until I handed over the circut to a more adequate person :-\ and dicoverd that I had overturned the Transistor.. I dont know maybe it helps..

And about the battrey, I am operating mine on a 6v, 4.5 A battrey, till last week it worked fine but now the sensor stoped working :( I am going to ordre some more ...

Drei

Have you got the dwell angle correctly set?

If you are using a large flywheel for mounting the magnet in, you might require more than one magnet, to allow time for the coil to charge, and thus give a strong spark.

Invariably, I would work out from the max revs of the engine, the size of wheel required to use just one magnet, and put that on the end of the cam/crankshaft, and then arrange the position of the hall sensor to rotate around that for your advance/retard mechanism.

When you get the destructions with the Tim 6 unit, it should tell you how to work it all out.

You also have to take into account which hall sensor unit your are using, some are polarised, and so only work if the magnet is the correct way around to the sensing face, either north or south polarised, the ones I used were all south polarised.

I used to run mine from a 6 volt SLA battery.

Blogs

thank you again for the help

well, I think to have damaged some part of the TIM-6 circuit, or the coil itself
the plug doesn't spark even if I pass the sensor slowly on the magnet, in either orientation

I have no time to control it, so I ordered a different system, the Apache CDI system

it works and the plug mades a strong spark

but the engine dosn't run, so it is time to fine tune it now...

unfortunately, I have very few time in these days for the shop :-[

Latest posts

Back