Help me buy a Mini Mill - Spindle Taper: MT #3 or R8?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,

I haven't checked out the trueness of the x axis extensively. However, I milled and drilled the 6" long support arms for the walking beam engine I'm working on with the G0704.

Progress12_11_2010.jpg

They fit fine, so the machine is performing to my degree of accuracy and precision over that distance.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,

Nice job on the new model and thanks for the info.

Rob

Since others in the market for a mill will also be reading this I'd like to add something that's only been mentioned a little bit. Another major difference between the R-8 and MT 3 spindle tapers is the ammount of tapping on the end of the drawbar after loosening to get the collet to release. R-8 is far easier, This results in way less tapping or if you overtightened the drawbar on a MT 3 then pounding on the end of the drawbar. Your spindle bearings will live a lot longer this way. Costs for tooling? Pretty well the same but far more selection with the R-8. If it's not made in R-8 then you probably don't need it. The same can't be said for the Morse tapers. I own machines with both tapers and in hindsite I'd always buy R-8 before the MT3 even if there was a price increase for the R-8. ER type collets and chucks that fit both the mill and a lathe? Yes that's an advantage but the largest cost in these sets are the price of the collets themselves. With a bit of searching it's pretty easy to buy a seperate collet chuck for not very much money that will fit both your collets and the lathes headstock taper.

Pete

RMS said:
Hey Andrew,

This mill (x2) is expensive up in the North, $200 more than in the States here.
http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/garage/shop-power-tools/milling-machines/8145096-1/2-hp-milling-machine

Yup, that's the one. It usually goes on sale here a couple of times a year. $999 regular. I think the sale price was $749? Maybe $799?

At that price it also came with an MT3 -> ER25 collet chuck and collets. Also MT3 -> JT?? arbor and JT?? -> 0-5/8" drill chuck.

The collet chuck was a nice surprise, since it wasn't listed in the description.

Andrew

Reminder that the Sieg X2 is no longer the best buy and certainly not cheap at the discounted price.

The new Sieg SX2 is a far better bet, due to its servo motor, vastly improved electronics and many other detailed changes throughout the machine (including a belt drive). The servo motor has almost a full horsepower rating, very smooth and with incredible torque for its size.

at this stage only available with MT3 spindle, however the R8 spindle is under consideration.

with a full set of ER32 or even ER20 (better suited to the machine) we find almost no need to ever remove the collet holder from the spindle, thus reducing the potential problem resulting from belting the drawbar etc.

have fun
Bernard

Hey Guys!

I pulled the trigger today and ordered my milling machine! After lots a contemplating this purchase and then considering all the advice given here I was at a standstill. But then I started to consider a USA made mill and then I saw the December shipping special at Taig, that also included a vice, collet set, a two end mills and (no sales tax!) So I decided on the Taig over Shirline based on the slightly bigger size and the extras included also helped!

So they said it would ship out on Monday the 20th. I hope to get it before the new year, so in the mean time I will be building a new bench to put it on! My future plans maybe a year from now is to turn it into a CNC; BUT one thing at a time!!

Thanks for all the suggestions along the way, I really learned a lot!
Rob

Bought a mill from LMS arrived with spindle issues. Over a week ago I contacted them and still waiting for parts. Chris did offer me $10 off my next purchase, as if that will happen. absolutely no sense of urgency for my problem. I have a machine I can't use, they have my Money and an inbox of excuses.

BMyers,
That really suprises me as I've made 4 or 5 orders thru LMS and have never had any issues. In fact from my perspective their one of the best suppliers of HSM type equipment I've dealt with. Then again no business is perfect, I just wouldn't want anyone to think that this is LMS's standard way of doing business.

Pete

BMyers said:
Bought a mill from LMS arrived with spindle issues. Over a week ago I contacted them and still waiting for parts. Chris did offer me $10 off my next purchase, as if that will happen. absolutely no sense of urgency for my problem. I have a machine I can't use, they have my Money and an inbox of excuses.

I suspect that since this is a new product line specially created for LMS that a language barrier created an issue with the overseas product supplier and its specification. Did LMS explain why a week has gone by and no new replacement parts have got to you yet? Maybe China has to make them and LMS was hoping it would ship faster.

Hang in there I do think LMS will come through on this.

Rob

The problem is the bore is not deep enough in the spindle for the R8 collets to lock properly. The solution is LMS is stripping the parts off another machine so I can tear apart and fix my new machine. When I enquirer about how I was going to be compensated for my time and inconvenience for have to repair a my machine I was told "it's a bummer that your mill isn't right. But when you are done you will understand how your mill works a lot better than the average purchaser". All i have learned is what uncaring customer service looks like. This is my second purchase with LMS and my last.

Well guys when I started this tread I was not even considering the other micro mills at all. But then I saw a YouTube video of what the Shirline can do "by Tryally", and then this led me to my Taig purchase.

Time to make chips!

Happy Holidays!
Rob

Taig-Mill.jpg

Back