help identifying aluminum alloy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
IMG_0422.JPG
I bought this piece of 1/2" aluminum plate on eBay. It has this pattern on one side, and the other side seems to be just a mill finish. Does anyone know what this pattern means? Thanks, John.

View attachment 114257 I bought this piece of 1/2" aluminum plate on eBay. It has this pattern on one side, and the other side seems to be just a mill finish. Does anyone know what this pattern means? Thanks, John.
Are you sure it's not a peel-off protective piece of plastic? - Terry

It is not a peel-off piece of plastic. The pattern also has a very noticeable texture to it.

To me it looks as if someone pealed off the protective coating then put it back down and left it to corrode.

thats how it looks if you leave the plastic cover on to long like a decade or two the aluminium gets stained like that get the sticky off with a solvent then buff with a random orbit and some scotch brite

Upon further scrutiny I think that is exactly what happened. Thanks for the replys, John.

Last edited:
were you able to identify the alloy? some aluminium alloys machine poorly

It machined very well, but I have no idea how to identify the particular alloy.

first guest is K1oo Cast tooling plate.
Its one of the plates that alway have a plastic sheet on it to protect the finish.

Is the chip a dull looking when cutting? Its also a little on the gummy side cutting too.

If its Cast plate, is soft and tension is only about 3200 psi, where 6061 t6 is 45000 psi

Latest posts

Back