Help identifying a boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgreeley

Reaction score
Stuart2.jpg

Stuart1.jpg

I acquired this scotch boiler and am planning to use it to power a Stuart Sirius. It is 9" long and 5" in diameter. I contacted someone who had a simular boiler in a model I saw on a steam forum; he believed it was purchased from Coles' Power Products. I managed to locate a number of their catalogs (1939, 1950, 1963, and 1985), but none of them pictured this boiler. Does anyone know who built it? Also need to find a ceramic burmer for the 2" ID burner flue.

Thanks
Bill

Good evening Bill,

Very nice boiler indeed.

It looks very much alike the "Trident Major", an internal flue marine boiler designed by Edgar T. Westbury.

Thanks akitene.
I checked the plans for Edgar T Westbury's M-10 boiler and it appears to have a fully enclosed flue/chimney.

Hi Bill,

Also need to find a ceramic burmer for the 2" ID burner flue.

The boiler probably used a blow lamp burner using either parrafin or petrol but there is no reason that I can think of that a ceramic burner shouldn't work. I could do you a bit of a drawing for one if you wish they are fairly simple to make.

Regards Tony.

Hi Tony,
A sketch for a ceramic burner would be very helpul. I've had trouble sourcing the ceramic. The only material I could find was an Alumina tile with holes that jewelers use for welding. This is Don Ciucci"s boat; he uses a blowtorch. It's powered by a Stuart D10; very impressive.
SU_10_WEB-Post_006.jpg

Your PollyWog came out very well.

Bill

Back