Help cutting thin cooling fins

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,
I have a similar project in the wings with narrow fins. What is the benefit do you think of milling rather than turning? When I saw your first posts (today) regarding chip accumulation I thought that a wire brush engaging them on the opposite side of the cutter might clean them out. With the milling were you blowing them out as the cut progressed?

They sure came out nicely, looks great! I will certainly use the leaded steel.

Bob

Looks great! I'll remember your trick on my next project's cooling fins

Matt

Your Heads also look gorgeous -did you do those on the mill with a slitting saw ?
Rich
Rich,
No credit to me on the heads, those are castings from Bruce Satra (vernal engineering). No idea if they are still available. I can't imagine making them other than casting.

Mike,
I have a similar project in the wings with narrow fins. What is the benefit do you think of milling rather than turning? When I saw your first posts (today) regarding chip accumulation I thought that a wire brush engaging them on the opposite side of the cutter might clean them out. With the milling were you blowing them out as the cut progressed?

They sure came out nicely, looks great! I will certainly use the leaded steel.

Bob
Bob,
Milling does a couple of things that are beneficial in this case (to me and my amateur efforts in the shop):
1. The chips themselves are tiny as each tooth of the cutter is generating a chip
2. The chips are pulled out of the cut by the cutter.
3. Yes I had air / mist coolant blowing on the tool as I cut but I don't think its critical.
4. Cutters are more readily available in the tiny sizes versus either needing to hand grind a tool and risks that go with trying to get the same grind should you need to regrind / break the tool.
5. No risk of chatter with milling, where as the lathe op is so similar to parting and chatter can be a problem.
Its definitely possible to do it other ways, but the above is the way that finally worked for me.

Mike

Back