help building small loft for home-made workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babolottino

Reaction score
hello for reasons of space I would like to realize a small loft, dimensions length 2.50 meters height 1.90 meters, depth, 2.20 meters, total local height 3.50 meters. How do you advise me to make it sturdy economically and quickly? thanks
disegno.jpg

soppalco.jpg
Copy%20of%20soppalcobiapp.jpg
mezzanino.jpg
disegno_tecnico_soppalco_in_legno_addossata_a_parete_con_una_colonna.jpg
41PekMtyZ2L._SX425_.jpg
soppalco-garage-box.jpg

Steel and wood are your two main options. (I suppose you could build it out of concrete, but that seems like a massive complication ...)

If you use wood, think of this as a "deck" that might be built on the side of a house - that's essentially what it is. Not sure what the metric conventions are for such a structure; here in the inch-based US, it would be something like 2x8's or 2x10's making an outer frame, with 2x6 or 2x8 joists (depending on the span - but your dimensions are small enough that 2x6 should be plenty) set on 16" centers, covered over with 3/4" plywood or 1" decking boards. The whole thing would rest on 4x4 or 6x6 posts, with some triangular bracing for rigidity. Lots of books and internet articles on building a deck.

If you use steel ... I would think it would be somewhat similar principles, but I don't have any experience at that point, so I'll hush and let someone else chime in. :)

Latest posts

Back