help building canopy protective shelter for car parking

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babolottino

Reaction score
hello, I should make a protective shed in a courtyard for a country house to protect two cars from the weather
the measures are height of the wall 2,50 meters width 5 meters length 9 meters, you would have some suggestion some suggestions, I should build the metal frame of the structure and install the covering mantle on it. I would like to create a light and resistant structure without hiring cranes or lifting equipment what you could suggest me thanks. for the kind attention
tettoia 2.jpg
tettoia 1.jpg
tettoia.jpg
pergola 1.jpg
pergola.jpg
pergola.jpg
cortile 4.jpg
cortile 3.jpg
cortile 2.jpg

Consult with your local authority for the legal requirements before you commit to any progress first! The Nine Metre span will require a steel "I" beam, a Lattice Girder Beam or a Laminated Timber Beam. A column support post in the centre would be an alternative. Looking at the poplar trees in the background you are in an area where high wind can be a norm. Wind loading calculations will be required for the whole structure to be securely anchored to a concrete foundation. A structural engineer designed kitset is probably the best alternative.

Shade Sails can be pretty good, depends on the level of protection you are trying to achieve, as well as your budget.

Depending on where you are at, a local shed or roofing supplier could probably supply you a kit for a car port of your dimensions, made to comply with local conditions and laws. Usually not much more expensive than just buying the steel and cutting it up yourself. You then erect it yourself and save quite a bit on the cost there.

I wanted to create three parallel portals, put the perimeter beams on it and place the crossbars on top to anchor the purlins on which to fix the roof covering. a friend of mine had suggested a cantilever-type shelf structure, like a tensile structure, what do you think? cartort canopy

carport canopy.jpg

CHIAC0034K_1024x1024@2x.jpg

product_22a4e1a8.jpg

Metal-Frame-Structure-Carport-Tent-Car-Parking-Canopy.jpg
steel-frame-carport-frame-carport-backyard-ideas-medium-size-carports-steel-carport-designs-flat-roof-systems-garage-year-shop-enclosing-a-steel-frame-carport-plans.jpg

Steel Frame Carport Frame canopy

steel-frame-carport-metal-carport-frame-parts-steel-frame-carport-canopy.jpg

One of the best options for you is the carports since they embrace all the points you need. There are a lot of models to choose from, and they are very resistant.

I wanted to create three parallel portals, put the perimeter beams on it and place the crossbars on top to anchor the purlins on which to fix the roof covering. a friend of mine had suggested a cantilever-type shelf structure, like a tensile structure, what do you think? cartort canopy

View attachment 108626

product_22a4e1a8.jpg

steel-frame-carport-frame-carport-backyard-ideas-medium-size-carports-steel-carport-designs-flat-roof-systems-garage-year-shop-enclosing-a-steel-frame-carport-plans.jpg

Steel Frame Carport Frame canopy

steel-frame-carport-metal-carport-frame-parts-steel-frame-carport-canopy.jpg

The cantilever design looks great, but would require very careful design.
There would be a large moment on the footings, and a tremendous amount of uplifting force in a windstorm.

From a static load standpoint, the cantilever design would be pretty straightforward.
From a dynamic (wind load) standpoint, that is where you would have to be very careful.

At certain wind veolicities and wind direction, the canopy can become a windfoil, and begin to oscillate at its natural frequency, which can cause it to fail.

Your second initial sketch with the beams resting only on the existing walls would be preferred for my cars that have an uncanny tendency to collide with additional poles in their surroundings.
On the other hand the cantilever design looks beautiful and will surely give you an unforgettable spectacular farewell greeting when it takes off in a high wind.

Last edited:
One of the best options for you is the carports since they embrace all the points you need. There are a lot of models to choose from, and they are very resistant.
Moreover, as you asked, they don't need a lot of equipment to be installed, and most companies come and install it for you. I have one in my yard for the same purpose, to protect my cars, and I got it from carportaustralia.com.au - Carport Sydney Builders | Carport Shed Design & Installation. They helped me with all the details, and the best part is that the carport is fully customizable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back