Help ! best Glue

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
Help fellas (and ladies)

My favorite computer chair has just collapsed (well the back kinda fell off)

it's a copy of an old lyre back probably from 1930 ish

nothing wrong with the wood all the joints are fine , (probably pine might be hardwood , doubt it)

the joints just suddenly gave way.

any ideas chaps P.V.A, superglue, epoxy

and how do I line up all those joints with only two hands

Regards Mark

Hi Mark. I have been building acoustic guitars for 50 years and find PVA 180 glue adequate for all joints including the neck. Positioning might require another pair of hands.

For an indoor chair, I would think PVA just fine. I have been using Titebond III as a general purpose wood glue and like it just fine. It is more water / moisture resistant than PVA so I reach for it if the object might see time outside.

Brian

Thanks fellas.

good old P.V.A. it is!

And a second pair of hands (bro in law)

@herbiev

I 'm a ex sound engineer and have "patched up " a few solid body electrics in the past,.

Chinese Strat copy, headstock collapsed.

bit of woodwork, a couple of screws and some PVA and it was as good as new (as crap as it was when I got it)

But I don't touch acoustics, better left to experts like yourself

I'm a "metal mickey" not a chippie.

I can make the odd foundry pattern though (not always from timber)

Regards Mark

Mark
If I read correctly , the chair may be c.a. 1930. If so, it may have been glued with hide glue. The good news is that it is easy to take apart: steam or hot water on a cloth. The caution is that it wiill result in a better bond with PVA if you can remove as much of the old hide glue as possible. If the joint is apart, a good wipe with the hot water followed by alcohol should do it.

Hi fellas

Stan I think you may be right It's a sort of brownish colour and sort of brittle, not like modern glues which are more elastic.

If it's water soluble as you say (I will check) then the chair is fairly easy to fix (pet octopus permitting) It is not a piece of Chippendale but well worth a little work to reassemble.

The project is still ongoing but a friend has provided a "temporary" fix.

I now have a very swish office type "wheelie chair" which he was chucking out.

only two problems with it

1. It has more knobs and levers and adjustments than my Myford has, I feel like a Starship Captain in this thing.

2. It's too flaming comfy, numb bum syndrome usually indicates that you need to take a little rest from keyboard and mouse bashing. No such early warning now I will have to rely on the old head hits keyboard alarm.

Regards Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back