Hello -

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Withnell

Reaction score
Hi, Just joined this forum and kicked off with a post about my Stuart Victoria project - In the Stationary Engine Thread as per guidelines!

The delivery of this forum is really great - well thought out and professionally delivered. Congratulations to those responsible.

My interest is model engines. I built a Nemett 15s (again on Youtube) not a great video that one, but it does demonstrate that it is capable of converting glo-fuel into clouds of blue smoke and noise - job done! If you search for "swithnell" you will see the videos of my activities to date, only three. Much of my learning has come from forums and other internet sharing, so time to put something back. My head is now doing work on a four stroke OHV v-twin, be a while before my hands catch up, as the Victoria has them fully utilised! I also have a design for a three cylinder radial coming together, but thats real long term project, might need to retire to get that done!

Workshop is a chinese lathe - the Sieg C6B which I've modified to give two speed ranges c50- 450 rpm and c200 - 2500rpm with good torque. I've also got a chinese round column mill- standard "Rong Fu" which I've added a digital scale to "z" axis. That's made a massive improvement to the accuracy of milling work.

Best Regards

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Steve,

Your interests seem to be the same as most of us on HMEM. I think you will fit right in here. Enjoy the fun.

Gail in NM

Steve

Welcome to HMEM. Will be looking forward to seeing some of these engines.

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome Steve
I check out the You tube.....Very Nice
Tony

Welcome to HMEM, Steve. The Victoria was always my favorite Stuart engine. Always wanted one, but the cost always seemed a little out of reach (or at least somewhat behind other priorities!).

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

You can take a different route to a Victoria - buy the flywheel, cylinder, end caps and steam chest and make the rest from stock materials - seen a few nice ones on eBay with that approach. Building the Victoria is my only hobby at the minute so over a year it doesn't work out so bad - cheaper than golf club and green fee's :)

Thanks for the info, Steve, where do you buy the individual parts?

Chuck

cfellows said:
Welcome to HMEM, Steve. The Victoria was always my favorite Stuart engine. Always wanted one, but the cost always seemed a little out of reach (or at least somewhat behind other priorities!).

Chuck

apologies for late reply - www.stuartmodels.com

Steve

I reckon Elmer's #33 Mill Engine is a very similar engine to Stuarts Victoria and built from bar stock and with a bought in cast flywheel would cost around 10% of the cost of Stuarts kit.

Having built Elmers #33 I was so satisfied with the way the engine performed that I built a second engine but increased the size by 50% and it runs even better with that authentic lazy beat typical of mill engines of the day.

John-Som

The Elmers #33 would have to be doubled in size to match the Victoria, which is, from memory, 1" bore x 2" stroke.

Many moons ago I built a bar stock engine (7/8" x 2") that was substantially based on the Victoria.

Horizontal2.jpg

Welcome Steve. I would love to see some photos of the modifications to your lathe.

Nelson

Back