Hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abernat

Reaction score
I am new to the board but not so much to machining. Before a career change and move 12 years ago, I was happily working in my home shop on a live steam locomotive. The change meant selling off my South Bend lathes and Bridgeport and I am still not over the trauma.

I recently decided to pick up equipment that would fit in my condominium, a Sherline lathe and mill, and start making chips again.

With two grandchildren enamored of Brio trains, I started with a wobbling car.

Andy

Wobbling_brio.jpg

I am new to the board but not so much to machining. Before a career change and move 12 years ago, I was happily working in my home shop on a live steam locomotive. The change meant selling off my South Bend lathes and Bridgeport and I am still not over the trauma.

I recently decided to pick up equipment that would fit in my condominium, a Sherline lathe and mill, and start making chips again.

With two grandchildren enamored of Brio trains, I started with a wobbling car.

Andy
Welcome to the group

The wobbler was taken primarily from one of Elmer's designs. The rest was made up as I went along and found what didn't work. There was no need to add ports or a top to the cylinder. And having the piston pop out the top gave me a chance to try a radius tool.

I did find out how much I missed a compound and power feed!

Andy

Welcome Andy from faraway Singapore.

Gus was retrenched in 2001 after working 32 years with Ingersoll-Rand in Singapore. For 3 years licked my wounds and pride.
In 2004 started building mini engines. All my troubles went away.Should have done it from 2001.This hobby is very enjoyable and addictive. Just DIY a table for my Makita Portable BandSaw. Boat fishing is another one. Rod building too. Plan to make a high speed rod building machine just for fun. See my post.

Hi Andy, great job on the car mate, I like the knurling you did on the wheels. I haven't had a go yet myself at knurling, as it looks almost like black magic, but will one day!

cheers,
Ian

Back