Hello!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mike.S

Hello everyone.
ive been on here asking for plans and stuff.
you have told me, DONT BUILD ANYTHING.. if i dont get it, im glad you did.
i have been reading up on engines and boilers, i finally under stand them and the power behind them.
i built a simple boiler today, hole in the top of a can water in the can fire under neath
took about 2 hours for it to steam really good but that was nothing, now im going to read up somemore and get on to model building :)
glad to be on here.

Hi Mike

You will find that the environment here is very safety conscious.
Home built boilers with no experience can be approaching the danger zone.
If our responces seemed restrictive, it was with safety in mind.
We certainly don't want to see ANYONE getting hurt, or worse!

Rick

Welcome Mike.

Gotta agree with Rick on this... We are definitely safety conscious. Even small boilers can cause a lot of hurt. Boiling water burns. Same with steam.

Do A LOT of research.

If your skills (machine, solder, braze, etc..) are not up to it, don't do it.

Eric

im researching away, the one we built was just open
so it just steamed out nothing to stop it but i somewhat did burn myself on it.
im learning ALOT before i even start!

Hello Mike S.

You will be rewarded buy learning as much as you can before you start. You could start building a engine first then a boiler. This will keep you interested and give you more time to learn about how to safely operate a boiler. Remember, We love pictures and Welcome aboard:O)

Wes

Yep, starting on the engine soon i hope.
i have to figure out who has a welder around tho..
and a lathe.

Working on my first engine. An Upshur Farm Engine. Have a 9in. South bend and a harbour Freight milling machine and more hand tool than allowed by law. Live in the great tax state of Pa. Looking forward to more engines.

Welcome to HMEM Mike

The Upshur is an ambitious first project.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Rick

Welcome, I also joined the board today.

I've built two of the Upshur engines, both were the farm type. One vertical the other a horizontal. If you take your time, you will have a good runner. One place to look out for is take care to do a good job lapping the valves. There's not much surface area so the fit has to be really good, other than that follow the plans and enjoy the build.

John

Back