Hello to you all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steamingandy

Reaction score
Hi a quick introduction, I’m a retired engineer who has finally got the time to play, I started a Stuart D10 20 years ago and finally finished it when I retired,since then I have done the Stuart boiler feed pump,a couple of Stuart triples and just finished a No1 centrifugal pump that I am driving with the D10.
Some interesting builds going on I look forward to seeing them

Reactions: Zeb
Welcome, sounds like you have some interesting steam projects going on, and the time to work on them.
I dream of retirement, but am not sure if that will ever happen with me.

Of course we need photos of your work or it didn't really happen.

Pat J

Hopefully this works
5F7E17FF-7AA0-44B9-B5CC-B5D3718AD98C.png
B66B56AF-5E12-4403-A9D8-8A822EDFB07C.png
23F25903-8EBC-45A1-B2AD-3EC657629950.jpeg

Very nice work indeed.
Great photos; we live for photos.

What upcoming builds are you pondering?

Edit:
Those tiny gauges on the compound are too much. Where do you get stuff like that?

Welcome to the site - are those gauges functional or aesthetic ? If functional we would all like to see what you did there.

I you are making more, document the process a publish it here - I for one would greatly appreciate it.

Great work you've come to the right place.

Regards, Ken

Did you make the horizontal offset gearbox (Pic 2) from scratch or was it from a kit?
Graham

Hi a quick introduction, I’m a retired engineer who has finally got the time to play, I started a Stuart D10 20 years ago and finally finished it when I retired,since then I have done the Stuart boiler feed pump,a couple of Stuart triples and just finished a No1 centrifugal pump that I am driving with the D10.
Welcome to the forum I’m also retired ME tool maker 10 plus years of playing with toys. About to get into steam engines big time . Lots of questions. Enjoy a nice forum

byron minnesota

Ok so here is y though regarding model steam engine boiler. I really can’t have a fuel burner in he house. So I thinking Alf he lines of plug it in and play . Looking around for heating elements something along the line of a hot water heating unit. I incision a threaded bung , maybe two piec to allow a large enough element. I found bucket heaters and some live stock heaters but not exactly what I had in mind. I’m thinking a timer to provide automatic shut off for safety. . I think a sight gage for water in the boiler. I have found small water pumps that are used to maintain water level in the boiler with a little adapting the steam engine could be set up to drive the pump you could have an over full or maximum fill level line feed back to water supply tank. A temp cut off switch might be a good thought. Measuring stem temp or pressure. It’s getting complicated. Poke yoke we called it. So lots of stuff is getting crammed into relatively small space. I’m thinking about 4” diameter 24” max length . I suppose a stack might be good. I’ve been thinking of a steam exhaust capture and condenser. So there are lots of fittings. I can probably do the silver solder or brazing. My grand son is skilled enough tig welder to be able to at least tack fittings in place for final brazing. I may be able to coach him too. There probably should be an insulation wrap and external shell. There is a farm show in the summer that we attend. They have a big mill steam enginginevthat has a much smaller boiler but fired. With coal or charcoal. So this I whew this is coming from. It may be more practical to just purchase a small model electric boiler but having a nicely made home built would be part of the hobby. So comments would be appreciated. I forgot it’s got to have whistle and safety valve so a couple more fittings .LOL

BYRON

I have never had an electric boiler but I have seen commercially manufactured ones, the safety valve is the most important and I should imagine some sort of electrical safety circuit.

Sorry for spelling errors bad Roy I don’t see well but when excited my finger don’t keep up with the rest of me.
boilers . So I just poured a cup of hot coffee. My old coffee pot is on its last legs. The hot burner caught my eye. What if you made a boiler heating pad out of the ot heater. It doesn’t boil water but if you leave the pot dry it can get pretty hot , so how about taking this apart and salvaging th heater. I’m sure a round heating pad could be made to heat a sealed boiler. I have a cooking thermometer so I’ll stick it under the pot and see just how hot it can get. It might be enough to boil water in an insulated container . We will see.
Any thoughts?
Byron.

The one I have seen had a heating element screwed into a boss in the boiler shell, so the same as a valve or pipe fitting, if you use a circle it has to become part of the pressure vessel shell and would require to be fit for purpose

Sorry for spelling errors bad Roy I don’t see well but when excited my finger don’t keep up with the rest of me.
boilers . So I just poured a cup of hot coffee. My old coffee pot is on its last legs. The hot burner caught my eye. What if you made a boiler heating pad out of the ot heater. It doesn’t boil water but if you leave the pot dry it can get pretty hot , so how about taking this apart and salvaging th heater. I’m sure a round heating pad could be made to heat a sealed boiler. I have a cooking thermometer so I’ll stick it under the pot and see just how hot it can get. It might be enough to boil water in an insulated container . We will see.
Any thoughts?
Byron.
I like the idea and I thimpfk you are on a roll trying this. Don't forget , you can also try an old 240V heating element off an old stove, how about a dead toaster? A garage sale heater? there are lots of things you could try, and I am QUITE sure a couple of them will work. But as Steamin Ganday has said above, you needs to have some safety devices.

You ask "Any thots?" maybe yuo meant "Naughty thots" -- Yes, I have lots of those.

Welcome to group

Dave

Latest posts

Back