Hello to all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lwbates

Just to say hi. I'm an industrial maintenance machinist, retired after 40 years. This looks like an interesting board and I'm going to enjoy snooping around.

Hello lwbates

Welcome to HMEM

Rick

Hi

Don't just snoop around. Become involved, ask questions or answer questions or teach others what you know. Either way, become involved, its more fun.

Welcome.

Eric

Welcome to the site! Feel free to jump in here and contribute. We are all here to learn and have fun.

Hello lwbates,

Glad you decided to join us. Look forward to getting to know you.

Chuck

Hello, My name is Martin, I come from a small city called Carlisle on the edge of the English Lake District. I am an engineer with a worldwide tyre manufacturer. I have been lurking here for quite a while and must say how impressed I am with some of the things going on here. I have been a restorer of Vintage farm machinery for many years and have just recently started to make some models.
Work on the models will be starting to get a little busier now I have almost finished the workshop. I have just lined and insulated my large wooden workshop and installed my newly restored machinery, which are a Kerry model AG long bed lathe(5.5" x 40") and a Tom Senior M1 universal Mill. I am at present fitting the DRO`s to these machines which should give me some pretty good kit to start with, Just hope the machinists up to it ;-)
I have started on two model ic engines as these are what I prefer, the first from castings and the second from drawings only.
Anyway nice to say hello and hope to post a few items as time goes on.

Cheers for now,
MartinH

Martin,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Martin let me be the second to welcome you to this great site! these are a great bunch of people believe me, they will give you all the help, and assistance you need, tho it seems your well underway as it is!
You definitely found a home!!
Regards Max...............

Welcome Martin !!! Pull up a cuppa chips and settle in !! :)

Mike

For sure I'm not even deserving to say welcome to You... I'm lurkin' here every day since months but I'm not lucky as You and I still don't have a mill and a lathe (I'm also an engineer but I have a family building company). So I just keep my dreams day by day, I just need some free time from my work and, off course, to bear up to spend this +/- € 3000 to start buying 2 decent machinery and a few accessories! by the way sometimes I yet write on this forum, I know I can't be helpfull to anyone 'round here but, for sure, each of my rare post... are usefull to make all of these great machinists laugh with my screamingly funny english!!! All the best Martin, and please tell us more about the 2 i.c. models You planned to starting by! I think that when I'll can I'll start from a treadle engine but, alway in my dreams (such as a full scale image on my pc desktop), there is the Jerry Howell V-four i.c.

Paolo (not the good machinist one, the other one!!!)

Martin, welcome aboard 8) look forward to chatting, there's a few of us on here not a million miles from your little city ;) ........... nice part of the world imho.

CC

PS: Debian ........... your posts are always welcome, please feel free to just join in for a chat anytime, there's no charge ;D

Welcome to the club! Glad to have you aboard.

Eric

Oh and Debian... I second what CC says!

Eric

Hello all. Greetings from western Arkansas. Came across this forum while searching for an alternative to some of those other places on the web, and I think I've found it here; friendly, helpful, genuine interest in what others are doing, and a focus on model engine building. My compliments to Rick and all the rest in creating and fostering such a great neighborhood.

I'm a retired electronics engineer, no previous model engine building background, but I've wanted to try my hand at it ever since I was a kid in the 50's looking at those Unimat ads in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines. Well, no Unimat in my shop today, but the local Harbor Freight store and Cummins truck sales showed me some Chinese import machinery that fit my budget and I couldn't resist. I know they're not South Bends or Bridgeports, but they've done what I expected them to, and learning to work within their limits was part of the fun and challenge. My shop is modest, but it has heat and A/C, and I hope to spend many more happy hours there. I just wish I had taken up the hobby 10 or 20 years ago.

Just finishing up my first model, an Upshur hit-and-miss farm engine. Finally got it to the point that I think it's presentable, and it runs, and I will never be the same. I probably made most of the usual mistakes while building it, but the model was fairly forgiving and overall a tremendously satisfying experience. I'll try to post pictures and a video of it in the Photos and Videos section.

And, as you can tell, I sometimes ramble, so my apologies in advance. Regards to all and I'm glad to be here.

Rudy

Rudy,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

We love photos and videos.
Flahssssss.gif

Looking forward to viewing yours.

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Rudy,
I'm only a few days old here but I was afraid to say I had Harbour and Grizzly machines! The price was right and they have been giving me great service for 3 years now.
Welcome
Tony

Latest posts

Back