Hello & of course some questions......

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am a long standing fettler that used to restore motorbikes but I have moved on to other more diverse projects projects now, similar to model making. After the disastrous ownership of a very old S/H lathe that I could never get to work accurately I have decided to buy a new Chinese one. Most likely a Ebay Crenex MX 400 vs Warco WM180 with a DRO, as that is all they have in stock! I see there is a thread on that in already, but any updates from a user would be great.
TIA

Check out Ades Workshop on YouTube and drop him a message he is a time served machinist that has a Warco WM180 in his home workshop. He has done a few upgrades on his lathe. I'm sure he would give you an honest opinion of it. Another youtuber with a WM180 is Retro Steamtech again I am sure he will happily share his opinion on the lathe.

I have the larger WM250 I bought 2nd hand which I'm happy with but then I don't really know what I'm doing 😬
The trouble with all the Chinese lathes and tooling is it can be very difficult to ascertain why there can be wide differences in price. I am sure that it is graded on quality (and therefore price) at the factories. I think the more scrupulous suppliers probably pay a bit more han others for the better quality.
If you buy from Warco, Chester, Arc Euro, Axeminster etc in UK is a safe bet. Not sure about some if the ebay suppliers. Also look at what extras you get included such as chucks face plate steady rests etc. You need a four Jaw chuck for its versatility.
Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Check out Ades Workshop on YouTube and drop him a message he is a time served machinist that has a Warco WM180 in his home workshop. He has done a few upgrades on his lathe. I'm sure he would give you an honest opinion of it. Another youtuber with a WM180 is Retro Steamtech again I am sure he will happily share his opinion on the lathe.

I have the larger WM250 I bought 2nd hand which I'm happy with but then I don't really know what I'm doing 😬
The trouble with all the Chinese lathes and tooling is it can be very difficult to ascertain why there can be wide differences in price. I am sure that it is graded on quality (and therefore price) at the factories. I think the more scrupulous suppliers probably pay a bit more han others for the better quality.
If you buy from Warco, Chester, Arc Euro, Axeminster etc in UK is a safe bet. Not sure about some if the easy suppliers. Also look at what extras you get included such as chucks face plate steady rests etc. You need a four Jaw chuck for its versatility.
Cheers, Dave.
Thank you for your feedback. I am gravitating towards warco or Chester, not everyone reviewing them is happy with their service but at least they are physically present in the UK, should things go wrong. I will have a look at the other UK suppliers you mentioned :)

<snipped>
<snipped>
Cheers, Dave.
Hi Folks,

There can be very large differences in similar looking products from China, based on what is called for by the initial customer / dealer. A late friend had been importing some machines years ago and was able to buy identical looking machines at widely varying qualities. At least they would look identical from a five to ten foot distance. He used to kid around asking if you wanted the fifty cents per pound lathe as an weird looking anchor for your boat, the dollar per pound lathe as a maybe but never quite done project, or the two dollars and fifty cents per pound lathe for using in a shop. You really really really wanted to get the $2.50/pound version :)

Before any woke folk get up in arms, I'm not China bashing, just saying that like many manufacturers you can get what you pay for, and they will make what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. China is cranking up a fairly successful space program. I doubt they got there using the low end stuff we often see at our discount tool stores, but I bet they use a lot of their own higher end machines.

Best to all,
Stan

Hi Folks,

There can be very large differences in similar looking products from China, based on what is called for by the initial customer / dealer. A late friend had been importing some machines years ago and was able to buy identical looking machines at widely varying qualities. At least they would look identical from a five to ten foot distance. He used to kid around asking if you wanted the fifty cents per pound lathe as an weird looking anchor for your boat, the dollar per pound lathe as a maybe but never quite done project, or the two dollars and fifty cents per pound lathe for using in a shop. You really really really wanted to get the $2.50/pound version :)

Before any woke folk get up in arms, I'm not China bashing, just saying that like many manufacturers you can get what you pay for, and they will make what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. China is cranking up a fairly successful space program. I doubt they got there using the low end stuff we often see at our discount tool stores, but I bet they use a lot of their own higher end machines.

Best to all,
Stan
Thanks for the reply, Actually, probably anything new & Chinese would be better than the clapped out British lathe I had 18 years ago, but I appreciate what you are saying. Buying a new western made lathe is prohibitive on cost, buying secondhand is just such a minefield, although I learned a lot from using a clapped out one, but I just don't want to go there again & I want something up ,& running not a project !!! So Chinese it is with a suitable & real warranty :)

Hi Folks,

Best to all,
Stan

China is the only location of the precision milling systems that crank out high-end laptop bodies from aluminum blocks (not only MacBook Pro/Air/etc., but also the costly PC laptops), so Yes, they can and do make quality machines and tooling. One of the reasons the U.S. is not able to compete with China's manufacturing capabilities is lack of investment, both in equipment and people; plus the lack of interest in pursuing hands-on technical careers.

I phoned both Warco & chester to ask about the lathes I am considering, but not overly impressed by their enthusiasm, when I adked Chester about the differences of their model to the equivalent Warco, they told me it had plastic gears........tumbleweed moment......OK well thanks for making up my mind :eek:

Latest posts

Back