Hello from Wales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

metalmangler

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm just returning to model engineering after a long break (nearly 20 years) spent moving house (twice), sorting out new houses, learning woodturning and spending far too much time playing computer games 😊. I'm a retired computer programmer with a lathe, mill, drill press etc. My current project is to complete the 'Lady Stephanie' I started in 1995 and ran in steam in 1999 (just before the first house move...). It just needs paint, lacquer, making a base/diorama and a few bits remaking as they've rusted - hopefully that won't take another 25 years :)

ETA: I found the thread How do you keep going on a long project like Lady Stephanie Beam Engine, and the answer is simple, go do something else for 20 years :p

metalmangler

Reaction score
Welcome.
Do you have photos of your work?
I thought I'd posted them already, must have been on another forum. I only have these three of Lady Stephanie from 1999 :-
steph1.jpg steph2.jpg steph3.jpg
She's currently stripped down for painting, I'll post again when she's finished.
Glad to have you.

john_1

Reaction score
Hi All,
I come from Chelmsford UK been an engineer all my working life, now aged 70 retired have decided to get back to model engineering. Just purchased a Chinese mini Mill and Lathe. First job strip clean and inspect all parts then carry out repairs and modifications, finally a proper undercoat/repaint.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the group

Dave

Hi folks. I'm just returning to model engineering after a long break (nearly 20 years) spent moving house (twice), sorting out new houses, learning woodturning and spending far too much time playing computer games 😊. I'm a retired computer programmer with a lathe, mill, drill press etc. My current project is to complete the 'Lady Stephanie' I started in 1995 and ran in steam in 1999 (just before the first house move...). It just needs paint, lacquer, making a base/diorama and a few bits remaking as they've rusted - hopefully that won't take another 25 years :)

ETA: I found the thread How do you keep going on a long project like Lady Stephanie Beam Engine, and the answer is simple, go do something else for 20 years :p

Reaction score
A nice engine Metal mangler. Now you can finish the project by lagging the boiler and titivating the feed-pump, tank, etc. So the complete system looks as good as the engine. You set your own standard (better than my stuff looks!).
I am sure it runs as well as it looks.
What did the original engine do for a daily job? Pump water or sewage? Or power a mill or something?
Thanks for the display photos.
K2

Reaction score

Hi Dave!

Any chance you are the Dave, from Wales, who was on the Model Engineering list? The metalmangler handler sure sounds familiar, although I may have been called such once or twice by my "friends". In any event, welcome! This is a great group of folks and some of the projects folks here do are utterly awe inspiring.

Cheers,
Stan

Latest posts