Hello from the rainy and windy UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugbyears

Reaction score
After many years spent sitting behind a computer screen I thought it was time to return to my original love of steam. Sadly I recently lost my father who unexpectedly passed away. It made me realise that the book of life is short and our chapter is even shorter, I therefore try to spend as much time as I can engaging with my children and creating memories. I am terribly lucky as my young son is just as passionate as I am about steam and general model engineering. We spend many hours together sketching out ideas and then trying to make them a reality. Unfortunately, lately, I bought us a used lathe, a vintage Drummand Bros round bed lathe, assuming it was small and solid. I quickly converted it to a 3 phase electric motor as the previous owner had made an unmitigated disaster of it - I thought to myself, what a wonderful steal. However, and I say that with a big sigh, I am unable to source any change gears for it and it simply refuses out right to run true. But as I repeatedly explain to my son, it is the process that is enjoyable. I suspect the majority of us are the same, it is the actual process of creating something, or in my case at the moment, the process of trying to repair something that ignites that passion. But, I am ever the optimist and always look forward to learning new things. As my father used to say, "Every day is a school day."

But that is enough of me and I look forward to reading and engaging with all of you over the course of time, I am certain we are going t learn a lot.
Thanks!!

Sorry to read of your loss it can be a difficult time I remember when I my father passed away 9 years ago. On a brighter note welcome to the world of building model engines. There are a lot of good people here ready to help.

Back