Hello from the Lake District

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr-mechanical

Reaction score
Hi my name is Nathan and I'm new to the forum.

I'm located in the lake District, UK.

Last year I bought myself a lathe and milling machine and have made a few tools for my workshy up to now.

I now want to make something a little more complex. Something that has moving parts and I can be proud of when it's done.

So I want to have a go at model engine building.

At the moment I have the drawings and materials on order to make the BollAero 18 engine as my starter.

Look forward to your comments and any tips / advice you may have.

Nathan

Welcome Nathan!

You came to the right place. Start a build thread and ask questions. Post some pictures of your progress and I have no doubt you will get the help you are looking for.
Thanks Steve,
I've been looking for the build threads. Is there a specific place they are posted?

Hi my name is Nathan and I'm new to the forum.

I'm located in the lake District, UK.

Last year I bought myself a lathe and milling machine and have made a few tools for my workshy up to now.

I now want to make something a little more complex. Something that has moving parts and I can be proud of when it's done.

So I want to have a go at model engine building.

At the moment I have the drawings and materials on order to make the BollAero 18 engine as my starter.

Look forward to your comments and any tips / advice you may have.

Nathan
Hi Nathan, I haven't built a Boll engine, but I've got lots of pictures and info. on it. Let me know if you want any.
A diesel is quite a critical engine, as regards fits and tolerances, but don't let that stop you. You will learn quite a lot I'm sure.
Best wishes with your one. Jack

1588778576364.png

Thanks Jack.

I've decided I need to just start somewhere. The worst that can happen is that I scrap some (or a lot) of metal.

I have drawings from @gbritnell of his 4 cylinder engine. But before I make a start on that I'm going to have a go at some more simple engines.

Back