Hello from the inland northwest

Help Support HMEM:

Zeb

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've spent some time in the past as a toolmaker (below) and have done some aircraft/rotorcraft stuff.
I've been getting into garden railroading recently and am working on a G-Scale-ish live steam yarder to pull sticks around in the yard.
Looking forward to interacting here!

Regards

molds.jpg

Steam donkey gears (using hand-ground home-brew cutters)
gears.JPG

Garden RR
Yard.JPG

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Zeb!

Man I love anything railroading. Unfortunately I'm in Michigan where outdoor railroading would be a lot more of a challenge with the winter conditions, it's not something that I have ever taken a look at.

Are your plans to build a working steam engine for the layout? At that scale almost anything is possible.

Zeb

Reaction score
Welcome Zeb!

Man I love anything railroading. Unfortunately I'm in Michigan where outdoor railroading would be a lot more of a challenge with the winter conditions, it's not something that I have ever taken a look at.

Are your plans to build a working steam engine for the layout? At that scale almost anything is possible.
Yes, I'm looking at either a live steam Daylight GS-4 or a Shay (because Hiraoka's book is so well documented and my theme is logging). I have a friend that plows snow with his train in the winter. With steam, you don't have to worry as much about cold, and I'm working on a bridge into my elevated shop for easy storage. Your icy winters might be tough though!

Latest posts