Hello, from Sri Lanka.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Perera

Reaction score
I am 73 years old, and engaged in a lot of hobbies, the most favorite one being making working model engines.
I am lucky to have two sons who also follow my foot steps.
I believe that my greatest achievement in my life is building and flying the "Comet". The Steam powered RC plane. An article about this was published in the Model Engineer Magazine
Vol.194, No.4248, 27th May to 9th June 2005.
This was followed by a 2HP vertical reversing column steam engine (#10) designed by Ray Hasbrouck,
a 16 mm gauge locomotive Brazil, and many more steam and stirling engines.
We build and fly RC planes, which I started in late 60's, and last year we were successful in building and flying
our single seater plane, using a kit by the name Zigolo from Italy.
Now I am interested in making a Hot Bulb Model Engine, and while searching for plans I came across a thread in this forum posted by Chuck.
So, I became a member.!!

Thank you Peter.
I believe that I have got a fair amount to share and will start posting soon.
Cheers ,Edward.

Here are some photos of my Comet.
1g5cZC.jpg

oOrvWK.jpg

DIxEXR.jpg

Q4h6Ed.jpg

IydBy9.jpg

gZvniP.jpg

and below is the Video Clip

Welcome Edward. There are a lot of nice people on this forum with a lot of diverse knowledge. Your steam powered airplane is very impressive.---Brian

Hi All,

A Steam powered aeroplane is certainly safer than a Nuclear powered one that the Americans built in the 1950s.

Hello to Brian! It was your engine I initially discovered that introduced me to this website. I am currently in the
process of transcribing Ken I's Metric version of it to A3 and A4 PDF sheets. Good to know you are still here.

Cheers

Andrew

Do you follow any ancient history of your country, I read of Ravana having 10 airports there, with the Sanskrit names of them suggesting a logical understanding of their use.

Rod

Andrew--Nuclear powered airplane?--I had never heard of that one---So--I searched the internet, and sure enough---

Hi Brian,

Frightening wasn't it? This one is even BETTER!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

I like this line:
Early versions of this vehicle were proposed to take off from the ground with significant associated nuclear fallout;
later versions were presented for use only in space. Six non-nuclear tests were conducted using models.

Ah the Good Old Days of the Cold War.

Cheers

Andrew

Do you follow any ancient history of your country, I read of Ravana having 10 airports there, with the Sanskrit names of them suggesting a logical understanding of their use.

Rod
This topic is not very much discussed among ordinary people.
Cheers, Edward.

Last edited:
Welcome Edward. There are a lot of nice people on this forum with a lot of diverse knowledge. Your steam powered airplane is very impressive.---Brian
Thank you Brian,
Could you please help me to locate some drawings of a model hot bulb engine?
I have seen some amazing engines built by Find Hansen. After seeing his hot bulb engine I was drawn back to my childhood. In the village that I lived in about 65 years ago there was a mill producing fiber from coconut husks, which used a hot bulb engine. I was fascinated watching the smoke rings, and enjoying the sound of the exhaust, from a distance. People used to say that the engine ran on any fuel.
To my surprise, Find's model engine was running in a very similar manner.
Now, making a hot bulb engine is my present dream.
Cheers, Edward.

More photos will be posted when time permits.

Sorry Edward--I don't have anything on hot bulb engines. I have lots of material on simple gasoline and stream engines but nothing on hot bulbs.--Brian

Hi Brian,
The work was slowed down during past couple of months due to my wife's sickness.
Instead of the hot bulb engine I have decided to start building the 1886 karl Benz engine.
I have gone thoroughly the thread started by gg89220, a lot of times and am inspired by his work. Tony Marlow also has mentioned that he will also start work on the Wagon. I have already purchased the kit and almost nearing completion the Engine. The work with the Wagon will also be continued once the lockdown is released.
In the mean time I am posting a few pictures of my Fowler A 7 Road Loco which also hopefully nearing completion. Hope you would like them

Latest posts

Back