Hello from So. Calif.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGUY

Reaction score
I have recently joined the HMEM forum and have been reading the steam engine builds with great interest. My work background has been with electronics and business computers. My hobby’s have been restoring classic cars, woodworking, fishing, and for the last several years building RC boats, which has led me to do metal work for the boats. Two years ago I purchased a small metal lathe (1955 Craftsman 109 series) this led to buying a mini mill ( Micro Mark with R8 collet and variable speed). Since I found this forum it led me to john-tom.com and Elmer’s plan’s. So I decided to build Elmer’s #29 Mine Engine for my first build. I will post pictures soon.

Ed

Ed,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ed, wEc1.
Crab,from the armpit of California.

Ed: welcome to the board .

The craftman 109 is an interesting little lathe I have a couple that I am slowly trying to tool up . And also a micomark mill .
And I have a Mine engine I started longer ago than I want to admit.
Tin

Hi Marv,

I live in Banning, Ca. It is in the mountain pass area at 2500 ft just west of Palm Springs. Its not at the end of the world but I can see it from there. I also saved your link with the software downloads.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi and welcome to the forum Ed!!! ;D

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Andrew

Welcome Ed, I'm also from SoCal, next to LAX. Welcome aboard !!

Mike

Thank you for the nice welcome to the forum.

I have been searching the web for Model Engineering shows in Southern Calif. like they have in York, Pennsylvania. Do any of you have information about shows in California or nearby?

Ed

Ed, I'm afraid that the American southwest is a desert as far as metalworking shows are concerned. I find it very difficult to understand. There are roughly ten million people in Los Angeles county. One would think there would be enough metalworking hobbyists to support a regular show but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Years ago the organizers of Cabin Fever started a show (called "Men, Metal and Machines") in Visalia, CA but it died after three years or so due to lack of support. Since then no one has attempted to start another in California.

There is a model engine show in the San Francisco area (Pleasanton). It is not as big as Cabin Fever but it was big enough to inspire me to get into this hobby and well worth the two hour drive from Pilot Hill.

http://www.wemeshow.com/

The OP asked about Southern California and I was responding to that. I don't consider the Bay area to be southern.

But I did forget about the WEME show. Mea culpa. Yes, they have a yearly (?) show in Vallejo, near Frisco. I've never attended so can't speak to the quality of the show.

wEc1 aboard Ed.

I'm the neighborhood ... Ventura County :) :)

Pat H.

mklotz said:
...near Frisco.

Next time you go there, they have a saying, "Don't call it Frisco!" DAMHIKT. Smiley face here.

-T

Troutsqueezer said:
Next time you go there, they have a saying, "Don't call it Frisco!" DAMHIKT. Smiley face here.

Trout,

I'm well aware of the fact that they don't like folks calling their PC tourist trap "Frisco". And that's exactly why I do it.

PS - They're not too happy about me referring to the University as Berzerkley either.

Back