Hello from Salt Lake City

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinette7

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After posting my first message about a week ago to assist Ariz with his "Mate" diesel, Global Moderator Don suggested I introduce myself here.

I first became interested in model engine building 40 years ago, in high school, bought a lathe 30 years ago and a mill 25 years ago, but up until last year at this time I was only able to make things that RESEMBLED engines. Nothing I built ran!

First, my "Mate" diesel refused to run (not enough compression). Then my Andy Ross B-20 Stirling wouldn't run (not enough compression, too much friction). To hone my skills, I began building the Ted Young "Hit-n-Miss" engine, assisted by an article from Modeltec Magazine. It took 14 years, but it ran for the first time last Fall.
I could finally call my self a Model Engine Builder! So I took another swing at the B-20 Stirling. Luckily, I was able to contact Andy Ross, and with his pointers, I got it running about 4 months ago. After that, I built a tin-can Stirling, and then I dusted off the casting and drawings for the Andy Ross V-15 Stirling, seen here running on it's first day.

After four successes, "What to do next?" Get that "Mate" diesel running! I made new piston, contra-piston and con rod, and lapped it with the skills I had acquired making the Strilings. Now it runs, too. I was glad to be able to share with Ariz some things I had just recently learned.

I am currently building three MLA Diesel engines, the construction of which I plan to post on this site.

We have something of a family tradition of engine building. My grandfather began building a hit-and-miss engine in 1902 as an apprentice pattern maker. Here's a short video of it running just last week, along with more description of what else he accomplished.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orurQ4avPFA[/ame]

Since he made this as an apprentice, and it is a full-size original and not a model, he wasn't truly a "Home" "Model" Engine Machinist, but can I safely speculate that it is the oldest hand-made engine seen on this site? I've never seen another one just like it. I suspect he made it while apprenticing at the Buffalo Forge Company. If anyone in the Buffalo, NY, area has some insight into this, I'd love to hear it.

And my uncle build a model airplane engine when he was 16, which must have been around 1930. And my cousin made his career building live steam locomotives. His website is here. http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/

It has been a great year of model building for me, and I hope to contribute more to this site.

Bob G

Bob, as soon as that H&M popped off the 1st time, you were hooked for life.

With that family background like you have, we should see a lot more engines from you.

Bob,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome aboard!

some fine looking engines and history you have there.

HI and from one bob to another welcome and have fun

Latest posts

Back