Hello from Redmond, WA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolgoose

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After browsing this site for months I have finally decided to take up the model engineering as a hobby. Now here is my dilemma, I am a computer engineer. I have never dealt in making anything with metals..only made software :) I never took shop class in my high school and do not know anything about operating lathes or milling machines. I have checked with local technical college (Lake Washington Technical College) about courses on Machining. They offer courses on Machine Technology (http://www.lwtc.edu/Class_Schedule_Search_Results.xml?qtr=B013&query=Machine+Technology) but they are expensive and geared more towards someone who is looking for a career as a machinist.

How or where should I begin? Is buying a mini lathe and taking up small projects is the right way to begin model engineering? Or do I need myself to be acquainted with machining before taking up model engineering as a hobby? Guys please advise me on this.

Thank You for your time!

Hi coolgoose,

I have a background in software engineering & knew nothing about machining when I started out , a year ago. Like you, then I didnt have lathe.

I took a once- aweek evening class in model engineering, The idea was learn to use the lathe at college.
However I found that a problem as much of the time I was reduced to looking over the tutors shoulder as he pretty much made the part for me. Also his time was didvided among various students at diff stages.
(not his fault he was great when did help me).

Really found I needed a lathe of my own to try things out on, make mistakes , go watch a video a couple of times , go back to the lathe try again etc.

Just my experience & 10 pence.

As to where to start, Tin Falcon started this thread which is a excellent starting point:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9413.0

You'll find helpful people here.

Bon voyage.

Mike

Thank You Mike for your kind words. I am thinking of going your route ..getting a lathe and jumping into making small projects and learn from mistakes. I can always get advice on doing things the right way from the folks in this forum.

Once again thanks for your advice!
Sri.

Coolgoose

Hi Coolgoose and welcome to HMEM. We have many members that started out just like you are doing and have advanced every day since starting. Reading various items in the forum will help to understand some of the things and sometimes it will seem like information overload. When you have a question just ask it in the forum. There is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. There are no dumb questions so don't worry about them. Every machinist since Adam had to start at the beginning, so you are in good company. I look forward to following your journey. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Coolgoose,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

How or where should I begin? Is buying a mini lathe and taking up small projects is the right way to begin model engineering? Or do I need myself to be acquainted with machining before taking up model engineering as a hobby? Guys please advise me on this.

Coolgoose:
This is a question only you can answer. but we can give all the advise you can handle just ask.
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” Chinese proverb
I had the good fortune of being trained as a machinist welder by the US Air force courteousy of Uncle Sam.
Many here are self taught and many here are pros.
How do you learn ?? can you read a book and visualize what is being said? Do you need a video showing and telling? Or do you need an instructor to give feedback and someone to ask questions to face to face.
the typical military class method goes like this.
1) learn the terminology of the lesson and the head stuff ie names of the lathe parts speeds feeds etc.
a) this can be book learning
b ) lecture
c )video
2) the task is demonstrated by the instructor. (Here a good video can be substituted)
3) Practice- given a drawing and a piece of stock make the part.
practice piece is evaluated.
4) Test - a similar part as above is machined and evaluated.

read and make a copy of the safety rules posted in the safety section .

If it helps there are several programmers here that are self taught home machinists.

BTW Welcome to the forum
Tin

I started pretty much in the same boat. Very little experience, but lots of enthusiasm and a desire to make stuff. I got a little mill, then a lathe (Taig, both), read a lot and started turning metal and plastic into chips. Eventually that turned into a larger lathe, then another one, traded that for another bigger one, CNC-ed the little mill, bought a big mill and now a big CNC mill and pretty soon the garage is full :eek: Sadly Boeing Surplus isn't around anymore, but there might be other aerospace leftovers in the area about that can be picked up for practicing with cheaply. I believe there are a few model and robot clubs around too that might be able to help.

I'm also a software engineer (embedded systems)...here's how I started less than two years ago...

I knew what a lathe is...that's just about it.

1) Found this forum - an excellent resource
2) Got a book called "The Home Machinist's Handbook" by Doug Briney.
3) Researched everything I found on the 'mini-lathe' site.
4) Bought a mini-lathe
5) Dove in - made a few of the projects from the book.

Did I mention the forum? Believe me...the most valuable resource I found.

The desire is assumed. Without it, nothing else matters.

Find the simplest engine you can that you're interested in building. Having success (of any kind) early on helps getting over the humps (that will surely come).

Did I mention the forum?

Good luck.

Thanks a lot everyone for your kind words and encouragement :) I have been browsing the Net for past 2 years regarding the model engineering but never got the resolve to jump into it. All these days I kept thinking that I need experience in machining and have to take some courses or join a community college for instructions. Now it is clear from your advice that it is not the case.

Thank You Pat J and 1hand for pointing me http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php I have started reading pdf files in their learning center.

Thank You Tin for the breaking down the learning steps :)

Thank You zeeprogrammer for pointing The Home Machinist's Handbook

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm also a software engineer (embedded systems)

Gee's......................I didn't realize you have to sleep with em to get em to work. :eek:

Reminds me of the time................................perhaps not. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

coolgoose said:
All these days I kept thinking that I need experience in machining and have to take some courses or join a community college for instructions. Now it is clear from your advice that it is not the case.

Only thing that comes to my poor feeble mind is your sense of safety. (not be taken as a negative) Learning to operate a machine is one thing, keeping all your fingers and toes intact is another. Lathes and mills are unforgiving beast, they just as soon munch flesh as metal.

Making bad parts is easy, making good parts becomes easier, staying safe is difficult, it requires you full attention. That said "Have fun and go for it" Just don't end up like ZEE spending too much time in the basement with his Mistress of Metal.

Robert

Thank Yuo Robert for the saftey advices :) I will definitely keep them in mind and follow. I do want to keep my 10 fingers ;)

coolgoose, welcome.

I have found the free video downloads from MIT to be very informative and refer to them often.

As you are new to the game, please be aware that the instructor in the videos appears to place his fingers in
some very dangerous positions with regard/disregard to the cutting tools.
Maybe he gets a yearly supply of
new body parts!

The actual tool and machining methods will get you underway. Keep your fingers away from the sharp spinning things. :eek:

http://techtv.mit.edu/search?q=machine+shop&x=0&y=0

Thank You Miker for the videos!

I have downloaded them and started viewing and thanks for tipping me off on the instructor :D

Latest posts

Back