Hello from Ontario

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Colin. I live near Woodstock in S.W.Ontario Canada Been lurking around for some time now and it's time to join in. I"m semi-retired and have been hobby machining for about 20 years. Haven't made much but hope to now that I have more time. Main interest is gas engines, built 3 of Philip Duclos designs, working on a 4 cyl.Panther Pup at the moment. Made a couple of steam engines as well but aren't as satisfying as the first kick of an I.C. engine. Got an old S.B.Heavy10 a Myford 7,an old Atlas shaper a new Busy Bee knee mill and all the usual stuff in my nice warm dry basement .Thanks for all the advice /information and amusement I have gleaned from this forum over the past few years.

Hi Colin, I’m just over the border in Manitoba. Also a newbie on the forum and have already had loads of help trying to solve my problems. Unlike you, I’m also a newbie to machining and after almost 20 years of retirement am jumping into a new hobby. Ultimate goal is to enjoy listening to a 4 cycle motor I built.

Welcome,
Harry

Hello to the oldengine guy. name here is Dave and location is St Thomas so we are not too far apart. I have an 8'X 10' shop
in my garage. Currently I am working on a ME Major Beam engine. I am a member of the Hamilton Model Engineering Club. We just
had our last meeting and will resume on the third Teusday of September.

Hello and welcome oldengineguy. I've been in Barrie for the past 20 years, been building and posting engine builds since about 2008.---Brian

Hi Colin,
Welcome aboard. Lot's of information and helpful people here.
I grew up in Woodstock with family in Kitchener.
gbritnell

Hi Colin. My sister and her partner just moved to Woodstock last year. He's a retired aircraft maintenance engineer and has an Atlas 10-F but mostly works on plastics. I'm down in Oakville. I'm in my rookie year of machining but I'm pretty obsessed with it!

Craig

It would be really interesting to see how many "model engine machinists" there are in Ontario. I've been into this hobby for eleven or twelve years now, and from what I see on the forums, there aren't that many of us.---Brian

Hi all . I live in Wasaga Beach , I am a Millwright by trade and retired for 11 years now. I am mainly interested in rebuilding / repairing machinery at the moment but eventually would like to build an engine of some description.
Brian . You appear to be the closest , maybe we can get in touch with each other ?

"It would be really interesting to see how many "model engine machinists" there are in Ontario."

I have a google map of the HMEM members started but it never took off. If you guy's want to you can PM me your name, screen name, and address and i'll add you to the map. I put a pin near the closest main cross streets to you so no one will never know where your house is, just that you are close. I delete your address so it is not available anywhere on the map. There is already an Ontario member posted.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...p&ll=44.84504486538274,-75.33989802811334&z=7

Hi Colin,
I'm in Goderich, so not too far away and my daughter and grandchildren live in Woodstock. I've been playing around building engines for twenty years now. Not retired yet, so hard to find much time for hobbies. I have built some Duclos engines and some from casting kits. Currently I have a Fairbanks Morse from Canadian model underway and have just started a 1/3 scale Galloway.

Peter

Last edited:
It would be really interesting to see how many "model engine machinists" there are in Ontario. I've been into this hobby for eleven or twelve years now, and from what I see on the forums, there aren't that many of us.---Brian

I'm a rookie at machining so I wouldn't call myself a model engine machinist at this point. Maybe some day. However, there are at least two long-running and active model engineering clubs in Southern Ontario:

https://sites.google.com/site/tsmeweb/

http://hamiltonmodelengineeringclub.com

The Hamilton club is closest to me and I've attended one meeting so far. There must have be 35-ish guys (not being sexist--I don't think there were any women there) at the meeting.

Craig

I am in Cobourg, ON (about 100 km east of Toronto on Lake Ontario) and a member of Toronto Society of Model Engineers (https://sites.google.com/site/tsmeweb/). I am retired and obsessive about anything machining related but don't do much with model engines. Shop equipment includes a Tormach 770 CNC, Myford S7b, KO Lee T&C and much of the usual additional toys.

I am a member of the Hamilton Model Engineering Club. Meetings are held on the third Teusday of the month. We have a fair size
membership. The knowledge and expertise among the members is almost without limits. Interests vary from making Steam engines, both moving
and stationary to rotary engines etc. etc.

Hi Colin,

Im located near Collingwood and have been building engines for the past couple years. Im currently working on a 1/7 scale Otto Langen. Would be interesting to get the Ontario crowd together at some point.

Tyler

Another Colin here from Burlington Ontario, also a member of Hamilton Model engineering Club. Started model engineering close to 40 years ago and after a 30 plus year break just back into it recently. Have a Stuart V10 complete, a PM Research horizontal mill engine also complete and a ME Minnie traction engine which I will say is 95% complete. For equipment I have a Dalton lathe, a Myford ML7 and a Bridgeport milling machine As I am closing up my current shop now in a quandary about whether to move the Bridgeport home to what will be my new workshop in a single car garage or trade it in on one of the multitude of table top mills. The Bridgeport has a wonderful Mitutoyo DRO and another DRO on the quill.

Hi Guys. Bill here in Ottawa, I'm a member of the Home Shop Machinists group here. There's maybe a dozen members in the group, we meet once a month for dinner and talk. I haven't built any model engines, but am interested and may start on one in the near future. I have a small garage shop, with an Atlas 10F lathe, Atlas 7B shaper, Taiwanese mill/drill, KO Lee T&C grinder and the usual drill presses and sundry stuff, plus an XCarve CNC router and a 3D printer, both of which I assembled.

I'm an Ottawa guy too. I wonder how many of us there are, especially from the technology side?

Latest posts

Back