Hello from NYC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drillrod

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,
I joined this group a little over two years ago but haven't participated aside from following up on threads from internet searches. I've been retired from the construction management field since 2005 but have been interested in model engineering and model building for at least forty years.
I literally have my shop in my kitchen/living room, which is dominated by a Myford Super 7 lathe, a Dore-Westbury bench milling machine, a Dremel vertical wood cutting band saw that I converted to metal cutting (it's no Delta!), the usual compliment of secondary tools, a Jim Byrnes table saw, and my latest acquisition, the Postel Bench Filing Machine. ( This is actually my "second shop". The first one consisted of a 9" SB model B lathe and a Clausing vertical miller, both of which I sold when my best friend and machining mentor passed away.)
I've always felt that a small filing machine would be a good addition to my equipment for squaring up the sides of sawn work that are impractical to mill, or don't justify the time spent to armstrong-file square, even though that's the supposed hallmark of a true machinist.
Being that I'm in walking distance of the Model Boat Pond in Central Park and possess no car, my main interests are semi-flash steam hydroplanes; traditional radio-controlled sail boats; custom model boat fittings; vintage tether cars, and so forth. Unfortunately, though, there doesn't seem to be very many people in this city of eight million with similar interests so I'm really grateful for the opportunity to link up with other like-minded folks like this group, and hope that I can contribute in some way.

Welcome Drillrod!

Fellow steamboater and Affection ado of all things powered by gasified di-hydrogen oxide. ;D

Dave

Welcome drillrod. Out of 8 million people there must be a few like minded people. We just gotta sniff em out wEc1

Welcome Drillrod.

I know what you mean about the area. I grew up in Northwest NJ and now live in NE Pa. I've posted a couple of times about forming a group and only got one response from a HMEM member that lives two hours away.

-Bob

Welcome Drillrod: you would think that in 8 million people there would be a hand full with your interests.
'm in walking distance of the Model Boat Pond in Central Park and possess no car,
I did not realize CP had an active boat pond. aren't city parks great for keeping sanity. I did a walkabout through Central park many moons ago visited the Metropolitan Museum of art had to research for a College class. Did a paper on a couple of Yellin Iron work exhibits.
Walked through the park visited the zoo. then caught up with our bus then off to Chinatown for dinner. .

Tin

Drillrod,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Drillrod. I think I have seen your name on the Mamod forum.

Steam engines are one of my favorite type engine.

ironman (Ray)

Hi Drillrod,

Wish I had met you a couple of years ago when I lived on E 38th on the 44th floor, with no workshop..had my lathe and mill at princeton Airport in NJ where I was building an airplane.......love RC boats and airplanes.

However, we may be back in a year or so, so maybe we will meet.

best,

Allan (currently in Jakarta, Indonesia for another 11 months, then Berlin and then NY we hope)

A belated welcome Drillrod. I'm also in NYC, in Queens, and have a small shop in my basement.

You have some nice equipment- let us know what you are up to!

Nelson

Hi Drillrod.
Welcome to the forum.

Allthumbz said:
A belated welcome Drillrod. I'm also in NYC, in Queens, and have a small shop in my basement.

You have some nice equipment- let us know what you are up to!

Nelson

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Whereabout in Queens are you and what are your interests? My equipment has a distinctively British bent to it, whereas my first "shop" was all American iron, which I regret to this day for having disposed of. The English stuff is ok, but I'd rather have my old 9" SB lathe and Clausing mill. I'm still going through a lot of stuff to clear out that I've accumulated over the years. Once that's done, I'll be scratch building a radio-controlled schooner. There won't be much machining work involved except for some tooling for fittings, etc. I'll keep the group informed as work progresses.

Allan in Germany said:
Hi Drillrod,

Wish I had met you a couple of years ago when I lived on E 38th on the 44th floor, with no workshop..had my lathe and mill at princeton Airport in NJ where I was building an airplane.......love RC boats and airplanes.

best,

Allan (currently in Jakarta, Indonesia for another 11 months, then Berlin and then NY we hope)
Hello Allan, Yes, looking forward to meeting up! Do you have a workshop now that travels with you, or will you be setting one up when you return to NY?

ironman said:
Welcome Drillrod. I think I have seen your name on the Mamod forum.

Steam engines are one of my favorite type engine.

ironman (Ray)

Hello Ray,
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I don't recall posting on the Mamod forum, though I'm sure I have lurked there a few times in search of info on small, alcohol fired, chicken feed burners for marine style boilers. Are you into marine steam?

Tin Falcon said:
Welcome Drillrod: you would think that in 8 million people there would be a hand full with your interests. I did not realize CP had an active boat pond. aren't city parks great for keeping sanity. I did a walkabout through Central park many moons ago visited the Metropolitan Museum of art had to research for a College class. Did a paper on a couple of Yellin Iron work exhibits.
Walked through the park visited the zoo. then caught up with our bus then off to Chinatown for dinner. .

Tin
Hi Tin, Yes, we have a rather nice, though smallish model boat pond here. Many years ago, up until the early fifties, all types of water craft were permitted on the pond: gas and steam tether, electric and of, course sailboats. Recently, though, the administration of the park has been handed over to a conservancy group whose main concern is generating money from the park's resources. Only sailboats are now allowed, and that is at risk by a model sailboat rental concession that has taken over the pond, crowding out the private sailboaters and making it difficult to sail there without getting hit by the rentals.

90LX_Notch said:
Welcome Drillrod.

I know what you mean about the area. I grew up in Northwest NJ and now live in NE Pa. I've posted a couple of times about forming a group and only got one response from a HMEM member that lives two hours away.

-Bob
Hi Bob,
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum! I gave up on trying to form a group years ago. A few fellows show up now and then and I'm happy for that. And once in awhile a new prospect turns up who we try to cultivate into a regular, irrespective of whether he/she has a scratch-built boat or store-bought...at this point we can't be too choosy or elitist.

Herbiev said:
Welcome drillrod. Out of 8 million people there must be a few like minded people. We just gotta sniff em out wEc1

Hello Herbiev, Thank you for welcoming me to the forum! Sniff them out? That's not so easy to do...not even in the middle of August ;)

Drillrod said:
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Whereabout in Queens are you and what are your interests? My equipment has a distinctively British bent to it, whereas my first "shop" was all American iron, which I regret to this day for having disposed of. The English stuff is ok, but I'd rather have my old 9" SB lathe and Clausing mill. I'm still going through a lot of stuff to clear out that I've accumulated over the years. Once that's done, I'll be scratch building a radio-controlled schooner. There won't be much machining work involved except for some tooling for fittings, etc. I'll keep the group informed as work progresses.

I'm near the Nassau border in Eastern Queens. My interests are in antique clock collecting and repair.
I own a SouthBend Heavy 10" that I am trying to restore, and two mills, a small Burke #4 and a bigger Van Norman #12.
Am going to try moving the Van Norman pieces into the basement today in fact.

Nelson

Allan in Germany said:
Hi Drillrod,

best,

Just came back from Princeton Airport's 100 year celebration, and watched the home-builts fly in formation.

Latest posts

Back