Hello from NY

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldiron

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been registered here and a certified lurker for a while now so guess an introduction is in order. :) I’m an industrial electrician around Poughkeepsie NY that has an abnormal attraction to rusty iron, according to my wife anyway. I’ve collected heavy equipment and hit and miss engines most of my life. To restore and keep my fleet of treasures running you have to make parts, lots of them, so I’ve put together a fairly extensive shop. The short list is a 12” Cincinnati lathe, Hardinge DSM 59 lathe, Cincinnati horizontal universal mill, SuperMax vertical CNC mill, surface grinder, brakes, shears and welding gear. As my 50 something body is telling me they’ve been some hard miles so maybe some toys that weigh less that a ton are in order. I’ve always been intrigued by model engines and have thought about building one that matches a full size engine that I have. Nothing left to do but give it a whirl. ;D I have made full size piston, valves, sleeved cylinders and such but it’s going to be interesting to see how making the full size part translates into making a miniature version. I picked up an Associated casting set that I’m going to take a shot at first. I had one of those engines and the castings are currently made so if I screw one up it’s not the loss of an irreplaceable part. I just got a casting set for a Monitor VJ and I just happen to have a full size one in the shop now but I think I’ll hold on them for now. If I munch one, I can’t replace it and they’re bronze to boot. Who knows, maybe a set of Novo casting will show up. I’ve got the three smallest sizes they made and going down one more step would be neat. See you around the farm. Bob

Hi Bob and welcome to the club. Sounds like you have a great set up. Love to see some pics if you get a chance.

Back