Hello from Nova Scotia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenG

Reaction score
Hi, stumbled across the forum this morning and it looked like a good group of like minded home machinists. I'm a bit of a noob am looking forward to learning more.

Thanks for the words of Welcome everyone!

SteveH, I'm a noob when it comes to model engines and I'm looking for any advice for a starter casting kit.

Welcome to the forum Glen. If you're new to machining then a casting kit is probably not the best way to start. It's far easier, and much cheaper as well, to start with bar stock builds. Castings have their own challenges and are quite a bit more difficult to build, even though they seem like they'd be easier to work with. Lots of people start with an oscillating air engine (a wobbler) and start building skills from there.

Hello Glen,

And welcome to our friendly forum!
I am a model engineer living in the Northeast of England, in a small seaside town called Bridlington.

What sort of machinery do you own or have use of, and what part of model engineering piques your interest?

I have both a lathe and milling machine, I also have equipment that allows me to practice investment casting.

My main intrest is stationary steam engines, although I have been becoming interested in making a foray into internal combustion,

Once I complete the steam engine I am working on I will start on a 1/4 scale three cylinder radial engine from the early twentieth century made by Anzani.

Looking forward to reading your posts as you progress in this interesting field.

Jenny

Hi are you still building model engines? I live in Fall River,and just started building,a single cylinder and a twin cylinder wobblers.Lots of fun.

Hi are you still building model engines? I live in Fall River,and just started building,a single cylinder and a twin cylinder wobblers.Lots of fun.

Hi Lou,

Welcome to our nice little group.

Your name caught my eye. When I was young my father took me to a tavern in New Jersey that was owned by a good friend of Bud Abbot and Lou Costello. When they were playing in New York they would drop by and tend bar there.
Lou Costello made me my first Shirley Temple!

I am just finishing up a scale model beam engine, my first project since moving to the U.K.

when finished in a week or so I will be starting on a 1/4 scale three cylinder Anzani radial engine. It will be my first internal combustion engine.

Hi Lou,

Welcome to our nice little group.

Your name caught my eye. When I was young my father took me to a tavern in New Jersey that was owned by a good friend of Bud Abbot and Lou Costello. When they were playing in New York they would drop by and tend bar there.
Lou Costello made me my first Shirley Temple!

I am just finishing up a scale model beam engine, my first project since moving to the U.K.

when finished in a week or so I will be starting on a 1/4 scale three cylinder Anzani radial engine. It will be my first internal combustion engine.

Great story Jennifer, I wish I was related to the original Lou Costello, Thanks for the Welcome, ( Who’s on first)

Hi Glen, I am of French descants who once lived there now living in deep South of Louisiana, my ancestors where some of the few that got out of Nova Scotia in 1764, they lost most of there families so once exiled they were call the Acadians, they lives along the Bayous and Rivers and kept away from people for many, many years only mixing with the local Indians, I was in a Restaurant with some friends and a fellow setting near us came over and said it's good to see and hear some Frenchmen talk (we were speaking English) he could tell my the accent and the layout of the Rice Fields, Houses and Customs, still live like they did in Nova Scotia, was telling him that when we started the first grade of school we were forbidding to say a word in French, well through going on like a nut, this is a wonderful group, I have learned so much through the articles and the pictures of how it is done, I call them "Well Spring of Wisdom" hope you can soak all there knowledge, Lathe Nut, I have 9 lathes I think that is enough, Maybe.

Latest posts

Back