Hello from Norway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hei Macman.
Velkommen. Hvor i Norge holder du til?
Her får du hjelp og svar på det meste:)
CS

Hello Redhunter350
I have recently gotten an interest in steam engines, have plans to build a Stuart 10V.

You are the first to mention the 38SPL ending in my username, have used it for many things for 10+ years.
I do some shooting but I prefer .45ACP.

Nice Ariel by the way

Hi my member name was my first Ariel -- still have it along with several others in varying stages of re-build hope to finish some before I'm too old to ride !! I'm now passed the sell by date !
My interests are all things mechanical, time served engineer then after 18 years went self employed as a gunsmith until retirement'ish still doing a bit. Was keen on pistol shooting mainly vintage guns until Whitehall decreed that only criminals could have them. Still shoot/hunt, make and mend things.

I like Stuart castings, have built several steam engines from them. Tell us about your lathe and tooling
over there in Norway.

Hi Packrat
About 2 years ago I bought a mini lathe package from Amadeal. I have been using it for small jobs and projects.
Have plans to mount a vertical mill slide, so I can do some light milling on the lathe.
Got an old pillar drill and an assortment of hand tools like files, spanners and sockets etc.

I have recently gotten an interest in steam engines, have plans to build a Stuart 10V.

For what it may be worth, Model og Elektronikk (a norwegian magazine) did several articles on a fairly nice steam engine some years back. I can't quite remember, but it may have been in a 2005-2007 timeframe. There even was a kit around for it.
A quick google suggest this series started in no. 2-2005, there is even a picture of it on the front of the magazine on the link.

Other than that, welcome! there seems to be some of us Norwegians around here. Kanskje vi skulle ta det på norsk i fortsettingen?

BR.
Thomas.

Hei Thomas

Takk for infoen, det er mange år siden jeg sist så i et Modell og Elektronikk.

Hei, velkommen til HMEM.. :) Jeg bor i Bergen, ikke så mange modellingeniører i Norge. Det bladet Modell og elektronikk har jeg 2 numre om dampmaskin i modellbåt, det er ikke snakk om å bygge dampmaskin og kjele fra bunnen av. For det meste er utstyret kjøp og montert i taubåten + råd og vink. Ut fra min synpunkt er det ikke mye å samle info derfra..

Jeg vil anbefale disse bladene fra England:
"Model Engineer Magazine" og "Model Engineer's Workshop". Du kan få dem lest i internett mot betaling for ett år eller bestille bladene fra England.
"Model Engineer's Workshop" fåes kjøpt hos Narvesen.

Hi, welcome to HMEM .. :) I live in Bergen, not many modeling engineers in Norway. The Model and Electronics/Modell og elektronikk magazine, I have 2 numbers about steam engine in model boat, it's not a question of building steam engine and boiler from scratch. For the most part, the equipment is bought and assembled in the tugboat + advice and tick. From my point of view, there is not much to gather info from there ..

I would recommend these magazines from England:
"Model Engineer Magazine" and "Model Engineer's Workshop". You can get them read on the internet for a year's payment or order the magazines from England.
"Model Engineer's Workshop" can be bought from Narvesen (Norwegian magazine dealer).

You wrote: I have recently gotten an interest in steam engines, have plans to build a Stuart 10V.

This Stuart 10V is a good basis for newbeginner to machine from cast parts to a ready steam engine.

I has 3 Stuart 10D, 1 triple expansion steam engine.
The triple steam expansion steam engine is not easy for newbeginner then i say you need some special tools to machine/create the parts. Milling machine is necessary to produce parts to the Stuart triple expansion steam engine.

My advice: Check all cast iron/bronze parts for defects and all measure is larger than on drawning before machining, drilling etc to a part with correct measure as showed in drawning. If the cast iron has hard spot who are impossible to machine --> use cemented carbice tool (hardmetall dreieverktøy) + low revolution to work with cast iron. Treading with treading tap in cast iron --> use turpentine (terpentin) as lubricant. Be patience and use a good time to produce the steam engine made of cast iron, cast bronze and other steel material.

Last edited:
Hi Mechanicboy

Thank you for the information.

My cutting tools for the lathe uses carbide inserts.

I have threaded holes in cast iron, and have found that lubrication is usually not necessary because of the graphite in the material.

Hi Packrat
About 2 years ago I bought a mini lathe package from Amadeal. I have been using it for small jobs and projects.
Have plans to mount a vertical mill slide, so I can do some light milling on the lathe.
Got an old pillar drill and an assortment of hand tools like files, spanners and sockets etc.

Do you have the BA taps and dies to cut the British threads, the castings come with the BA bolts and nuts
for the engine, also you will need set of number drills..

With tiny BA treading taps in cast iron, turpentin is recommented by Edgar Westbury. BA treads has deep treads than millimeter-/imperial treads.

The carbid inserts can't cover all where you want to create on lathe, you need HSS lathe tool to form where you want to create where carbice insert is impossible. Also you can grind the HSS in all difference size and form.

Good point of the turpentine and BA threads, I have only threaded in mm.
I have some 3/8"x3/8" or 10x10mm HSS blanks, just have to learn how to grind them.

Hi and welcome macman38spl,
Looks like a crowd of Norwegians here now! I may have to includ my other hands fingers to count us!
I did a Stuart 10V as my first project. There is a boock about this build using no mill. I was a bit put down about the casting quality. I would also consider a scratch built brass engine. No wories if you spoil a part. Easy to machine.
Rudy 9,38,22,357,40

Hi Rudy
The castings of the cast iron parts was very rough, will have to spend some time filing.

It took me a moment to decode the numbers, it's calibers:)

I forgotten to tell you,... with HSS lathe tool, they is sharp and give less load on the tiny parts on lathe hence carbide insert tools is not used due not sharp enough. With sharp tool give finer details on material. I has used old file as lathe tool when i need to turn the small parts of bronze/brass and aluminium. Works well on steel too.. Some time i used old HSS drill (not end of drill, front only where you are shorten to a short shank there is hard enough to use) as tiny lathe tool to create tiny parts.

Latest posts

Back