Hello from North Devon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Reaction score
Hello,
I've just landed here with the fanciful idea of one day making an engine. Currently a novice I have a Raglan Little John mk2 along with a very old admiralty Drummond. The latter is in bits after a house move and likely to be that way for a while. The Raglan is up and running but so far has only made a couple of 9/16" threads (its capable of loads more, I'm not quite there yet).
Gary.

You re welcome
Loving the forum so far. Nice, knowledgeable people. Hard to come by it seems.

Hello,
I've just landed here with the fanciful idea of one day making an engine. Currently a novice I have a Raglan Little John mk2 along with a very old admiralty Drummond. The latter is in bits after a house move and likely to be that way for a while. The Raglan is up and running but so far has only made a couple of 9/16" threads (its capable of loads more, I'm not quite there yet).
Gary.
Do ;you have a photo of that Raglan? I've never heard of one.

Welcome and good luck Gary. I used a Raglan Little John in metalwork lessons at school 60 years ago, great lathe with an expanding/contracting pulley system to infinitely vary the speed if I remember rightly.

B
Thanks B, you do remember rightly about the pulley system. I also have a variable frequency drive on mine as it has a 3 phase motor, this allows a variety of speeds, soft starting and seems to work well. I do tend to leave it set at 50hz though and make speed adjustment on the original machine workings.

Hello,
Gary.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Gary
Welcome, I also live in Devon, (Brixham) and exhibit in the model marque tent at Churston steam rally.
Graham

Welcome aboard from another South Devon resident and occasional poster on the forum. Currently building my first loco having been a more-or-less model engineer for around 50 years... Not sure about North Devon but there are a few ME societies down this end of the county - I'm chairman of the Newton Abbot club, and there are also clubs in Exeter and Plymouth.

Welcome aboard from another South Devon resident and occasional poster on the forum. Currently building my first loco having been a more-or-less model engineer for around 50 years... Not sure about North Devon but there are a few ME societies down this end of the county - I'm chairman of the Newton Abbot club, and there are also clubs in Exeter and Plymouth.
Hi, I have found a distinct lack of clubs locally. When we moved here I didn't think to see what there was in that regard. I have been building and flying model aircraft since the mid 80's. It was only after moving I found that there are no clubs anywhere near me.

Latest posts

Back