Hello from Minnesota

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerssteamtoys

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sure the whole forum is glad to have a new member. I'm glad because I have alot to learn about machining.

You will probably turn out some good peices after some practice.

Welcome.

I've only been here about a day myself, and there's a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable and helpful individuals.

-Brian

Indeed - I have been browsing for a couple of days, and it is quite clear that there are a lot of enthusiasts with a lot of knowledge - this forum seems very friendly and very casual, which is exactly the sort of environment for me!

I'm glad to be here. I'm going to get some practice in machining some simple pieces for some jigs and fixtures I need for work, and then it's time to consider a steam engine! I am thinking a nice little vertical model will be a good starting place.

Propforward said:
I was in the last year where real workshop practices were still taught in UK schools

A very sad demise which will no doubt be regretted in a few decade's time :wall: ......... I was a year or two before you methinks, like you it's starting to come back ........... albeit slowly ::)

Welcome aboard Stuart 8)

Dave .......... aka ........... CC

Stuart:
no need to apologize for having a 12 x 36 as a starter lathe.
Hope you enjoy it here.
Tin

Welcome Stuart!

That 'starter 12x36' is A LOT larger than my 7x10 production lathe. yes, I said production. ;D

Eric

Stuart,

Size means nothing in our little world here, it depends how much pleasure you and others get from it.

We love piccies, vids and good discussions as a sideline to giving advice, and a sense of humour is a necessity.

I am sure you will enjoy it here.

BTW are you a Brit who has turned to join the colonials, or did you just come to our little island to get some semblance of an education?

John

Thank you all for your welcomes, I appreciate it.

I am indeed an expatriate Brit - I came over in 1998. I saw an ad in a trade magazine for a mechanical engineer position in St. Paul, and decided to apply for the job for the heck of it. Long story short, I got the job and decided to "give it a go". Well, it worked out well for me and I plan to stick around - I love it here.

I got very lucky on the lathe - I got it for a VERY low amount of cash. It is likely way larger than what I need, but extra capability is always good.

I dug out my old school notes, plus my Dad sent me some excellent reference materials and I have been refreshing my memory - some of it comes back a little slowly, but that's all part of the fun.

As for what's up? Well, I just got my cutting tools yesterday, so this weekend I will start making some parts! I can't wait! And while I'm boasting about good luck - we threw out a CNC router at work - a small one (10" X 10" work area), which I duly retrieved from the dumpster and cleaned up, and that works great too.

So all in all - a good start. Now to get into it.

Again, thanks for your welcomes - much appreciated. I am looking forward to plenty of banter!

Stuart

Stuart
Alas... poor Bogster struggles with banter. In fact he often PM's me to ask how he should respond to posts and to ask if he's being made fun of again. The poor guy is such a sensitive type that we have to handle him very gently lest he should become befuddled once again. Unfuddling John seems to be an ongoing requirement...(grin).

Welcome aboard
Steve

welcome stuart........as bogs said you need a sense of humor and the rest will fall in place here on this great site. ;D :big:

so you have new cutting tools and a great lathe.............so what will you be making for us guys to drool over 8)

chuck

Steve you had better be more careful with your comments.

One of these days I'm going to wire Bogs an airline ticket to Pittsburgh where I'll meet him
to connect to a flight to your place. I'll have a beer or two (depending on just how tired John is)
while he kicks your butt. LOL

I'll even fly Stuart there as an impartial witness!

We may be a strange old group here Stuart but it's all in fun for the continuation
of a hobby that is so close to extinction.

It won't die without a fight! ;)
With spirits like this on board how could it?

Rick

Rick
The last butt kicking I got has long healed up, so I'm probably due. Just as long as you'll carefully hold me beer till he's done...LOL. Heck... why not just fly you, me and Stuart to the UK and save the wear and tear on the old guy. I should at least be nicely scabbed over by the time we return....(grin)

Stuart... do be gentle... LOL

Steve

I refuse to be drawn into this futile conversation, you should all know by now I am a pacifist.

But I am a bit of a whiz kid on computer hacking.

BTW Steve, stay in tuesday, there is a special delivery coming for you.

The biggest B/port I could find and the best looking Monarch lathe you have ever seen.
I charged it to your Mastercard, hope that is OK by you.

Enjoy

Bogs

Cool... just stand back... because when that charge bounces it's gonna be a sight to see.

Steve

bogs is FAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR to smarts to get drawn into this one guys.................you have to be way more sneaky to get him.
he's got waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too may years on you guys. :big:

i better stop before the :fan:

by the way john many many ass kissing thanks for the cam grinder plans. ;D :eek:

cheers guys

p.s i'm unsupervised right now (wife and kids are out) so i cannot be held responsible for my comments :D ;) 8)

Chuck...
He's at least smart enough to have cost me the free warm beer...LOL I was gonna have some fish and chips too...sheeeeesh.

Steve

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell then,

I do believe I have happened upon the correct forum..........

Excellent! If you want to fly me out for a beer, I graciously accept! Let's have at it!

As for what am I going to make - I have decided to start slowly. Very slowly. This weekend I am making a couple of brass tools for two of my maintenance guys at work - these will be very simple, and will let me refresh my memory on some really basic facing, turning and parting operations.

After that, I want to pick out an engine. I had my heart set on a casting kit of a small vertical engine, but having read plenty of the poists on this forum, it might be better to start with something made from stock material - less heartache when I mess a part up.

I'm really fired up about this hobby - as someone said, it has suffered a decline, let's see if we can reverse the trend!

I'll borrow the digital camera from work this weekend and get pictures of my shop, such as it is.

Oh I'm looking forward to this!

Stuart

stuart
there are some nice little bar stock steam engine plans on the internet and i think i have some if you are interested let me know and i will dig them out for you.

chuck

Back