Hello from Mid Wales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggle

Reaction score
I've been doing little else but cruise around this forum for the past 3 days.
It looks like a nice place to be and if there's room for a little 'un I'd like to come in. Haven't done much with my nice new shed yet, we only moved here a short time ago.

"Here" is Newtown, Montgomery, Powys, Mid Wales.

Machinery is 2x Unimat SL/DBs, 2x Taig/Peatols and a Super Adept.

Ray

Welcome, Ray, and thanks for posting your location. Now can we ask you to go back and edit your profile to include said location?

I think you'll enjoy the time you spend here. It's a cozy, comfortable group.

raggle said:
"Here" is Newtown, Montgomery, Powys, Mid Wales.
Kewl. Another one to help keep those English in their place. :big:

Machinery is 2x Unimat SL/DBs, 2x Taig/Peatols and a Super Adept.

And you even have proper sized machines. :)

I only have one each Taig and SL-1000 but they're backed by three watchmaker's lathes and the newest addition, a Clisby.

There are some really cool people here, some really knowledgable people and some really cool knowledgable people. No, wait. That didn't sound right. Anyway, you get the idea.

Have fun and watch out for the Fluffy Bunnies.

Best regards,

Kludge, the resident nut case.

Thanks for the welcome, one and all.

But one small clarification, Kludge
Kewl. Another one to help keep those English in their place. big laugh
I'm here to keep an eye on the Welsh, I'm afraid. I originally hail from the Black Country. (I'll leave you to Google that)
My first 65 years were spent or wasted on the other side of the border. I've always loved these hills and now, sadly, it's too late for me to climb them.

It'll be a while before I get any worthwhile metal cutting done, so bear with me.

Ray

Raggle,

A very warm welcome. Just sit back and enjoy yourself.

If you have the real black country accent, that will give those Celtic Welsh a run for their money, when they start speaking in their native tongue, just as you approach them, then reverting back to English as you are leaving.
I had a lot of trouble understanding the accent when I worked in Telford.

John

A welcome from (not so) Sunny Orstralia as well mate.

You'll be familiar with Tel's staple diet then - black puddin' and Guiness.

raggle said:
I'm here to keep an eye on the Welsh, I'm afraid.

An activity with the success rate akin to herding cats. :)

I originally hail from the Black Country. (I'll leave you to Google that)

I did so during a discussion with a gentleman a while back regarding the variability of the English language within the bounds of England proper. (This, in turn, started off as a discussion regarding the differences between American English and English English. That proved to be an interesting conversation.)

It'll be a while before I get any worthwhile metal cutting done, so bear with me.
No worries. No one here's in a hurry. So ... well, 30 minutes should be sufficient time. :big:

Best regards,

Kludge

raggle said:
I'm here to keep an eye on the Welsh,

Good luck .......... ::) ................ keep an eye out for Ralph, he's in your neck of the woods ............ though I'm sure he'll deny being Welsh ;)

Welcome aboard Ray

CC

Oh I'm here.... And I'm a Midlander through and through!!! (says so on me passport :p)

Residing in sunny, no rainy, no windy (.... oh well you'll be more than aware Ray....) North wales!

And those hills, I attack them on average 2 times a week (still got some spring in my legs you see! :big: )

There is not such a rivalry amongst the English and the Welsh around here.... not until you drive over to the towns surrounding Ruthin or Denbigh for a night out!!! They still don't like us there!!

Have fun reading through all the posts Ray.... There are many months worth of material to help you make a better engine, In 3 days you should have just about scratched the surface by now ;D

post some pictures of your shed when it's done... even while it is getting done ;D

Ralph.

Welcome Ray and G'DAY from an old Aussie.Hope you enjoy this groupe as much as I do .

Ian

There's an awful risk here of a welcome thread stretching into infinity (and beyond!) but here goes with some comments that I'm not sure of where else to post 'em.

Ralph said
There is not such a rivalry amongst the English and the Welsh around here.... not until you drive over to the towns surrounding Ruthin or Denbigh for a night out!!! They still don't like us there!!
That may be because it is still legal to kill a Welshman at midnight on Friday with a crossbow in several Marches towns like Chester, Ludlow and Chepstow. ;)

I spent ALL my long summer holidays in our home-built caravan (a long story in itself) in Harlech, and was free to wander around the Rhinogs and surrounding areas.

Bog
If you have the real black country accent, that will give those Celtic Welsh a run for their money, when they start speaking in their native tongue, just as you approach them, then reverting back to English as you are leaving.
A mate of mine retired from the railways after a lifetime in England and went to live in his hometown, Dolgellau. As I said to a mutual friend, "Poor old Howell, every time he went into an English pub they'd start gabbling away in their own language. He must have got fed up of it."

There will be a link to pics of the shed (as it was brand new and not yet full of junk as it is now) in the appropriate section. That is when I can find it in my wife's pooter.

Now, how do you get out of here?

Ray

Now, how do you get out of here?
..... It's like the hotel California!!!! :big:

Tried that crossbow thing once... The rozzers don't think it is funny? .... No sense of humour!! ;)

Harlech is a great place for camping in the ( I use this term loosly!!) summer ;D

Is your mates name Howell or Hywel? like my mate is called.... That gets him called all manner of things.... Hal, Howie, howl(with wolf like tones!!) it is funny to see their faces when He spells it out too!! :big:

Glad you are enjoying the place.... Looking forward to the photo's.

Ralph.

Raggle, welcome to HMEM. Kick your feet up and make yourself at home.

Back