Hello from Mid Michigan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
Well I figured it was about time I introduce myself here after lurking about for awhile. Some of you might already recognize my nick from other boards. I spend as much time in my hobby shop as time allows. During the summer months that doesn't amount to much but now that colder weather is coming in I will be in here more often.

I haven't completed an engine yet but I have in the works, the Siamese Twins by Dave Goodfellow , and the Edwards Radial 5. I am also studying the plans for the Webster Engine(the one he has free plans for). I seen the post where another member has started it and I think it was rake that jumped in and helped him out. My memory is carp anymore and seems to be getting worse by the day so I apologize ahead of time for not really being sure who helped out if it wasn’t rake. Anyway who ever it was kudos for putting that much effort into it. I will be referring to the post when I get ready to make that cam ring.(haha..if I can remember that it was posted..))))).

Anyway I was glad to find a site with this much activity devoted to engine building.

Thanks guys for you efforts on this forum.

Kind regards,
Bob

PS

Here is a link that will take you to some pics of my shop as it has evolved over the last 5 years and some projects I have done. The most recent is the starting of the cam for the Edwards Radial 5.
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine Shop/

Edited to give credit to:
Bogstandard!!!!.. Sorry after posting this I did a search and for Webster and found the post that I was refering to. Thanks again for going through that trouble. I will be needing that soon.

Welcome, you can do like I did and just make an engine and forget about plans.

Just start drilling holes and make it, we dont need any stinking plans. :wink:

Its fun jump in...

A very warm welcome Bob,
I think you will find that everyone on here will chip in to help you out with any problems you encounter along the way making almost any sort of engine. There are such a diverse range of talents on here I don't really think much could stump us.
And it goes the other way, anything you feel like sharing with us, just do a post under the correct heading, and your words will be soaked up like a dry sponge.

Enjoy your lurking

John

Welcome Bob, This is the kind of place that YOU will have the opportunity to help grow and improve on. We are a small group now, but with folks like you and others with interest in model engines and similar projects, we can work to be a benefit to the hobby. After seeing your shop I can only see you making big contributions to the group. We do like photos of projects. Enough said.
Mel

I am the one who started making the "Webster" after seeing it one this site, after making a few simple wobblers, some of Elmers more simple designs, a couple of Jerry Howells Sterlings and even a Flame engine that was posted on here. Well after all of this I saw the gas webster and thought that I would give it a try. Over the years my skills have improved along with the amount of money I have spent has increased, a lot by trial and error and a lot by help from computer friends. I am 61 years old and I took my my model making to a higher level after losing my wife of 38 years to Lou Gehrigs diesease, (Motor Nueron Disease, for Bog and our friends across the pond) I try to live each day like it could be my last, because we just don't know do we.

My point is, try to make something new it might just work or you might get some more stuff to put in the bottom drawer of your toolbox, When it works out and you can say "Yes, I made that" it gives you a feeling that will last a long time. The only way you can learn is by trying.

Last night I found my next project, a Upshaw hit and miss farm engine and I am not done with my current project, I must be hooked.

Welcome Bob

I'm glad you found us!

Rick

Everyone thanks for the warmw welcome. It's saturday morning now and I am in the shop on my 3rd cup of coffee. Like I said I have 2 projects in process right now. I have the cam for the Edwards Radial 5 chucked up right now. I hope to get off my butt and do the drilling and boring I need to do and at least get the part remounted in my 5C chuck to finish the back side. I will post some pics in the project area.

Latest posts

Back