Hello from Lancashire, England

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marmech

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking on this forum for several years admiring the high quality content that has been shown here and thought that it was as good as time as any to post an introduction.

In my single car garage I've pulled together a modest but functional workshop quite capable of turning useful material into not quite so useful almost-completed engines of varying quality, and a few small successes of course. I sincerely hope that there are at least some of you who have done the same during your time in this hobby and not just me!

A friend and I are currently working on a small run of Chris Boll's BollAero 18 engines which I plan on showing here when finished in a few weeks, perhaps even a video if I am successful in making one run.

My background is in mechanical design of things too expensive or hazardous for me to attempt at home, although there are times when I examine my eBay purchase history that make me question if the former is accurate...

Thank you for all the inspiration thus far!

Mark.

Welcome Mark,

I converted the garage to a workshop, and luckily I am still married as a result of moving the wife's car out permanently.

My current quest is to cast my own engines.
Work keeps getting in the way at the moment.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Pat J

Welcome fellow Brit , need any help for tools etc drop me a note.
Dan.

Hi Mark,

Your intro sounded eerily similar to someone I know, also based in Lancashire called Mark, who is also working on some Boll Aero 18s in collaboration with myself..

If you're also working on them with someone called Jamie, I can only assume there's been a glitch in the matrix.

Welcome Mark. I look forward to some "Lancy tales" in due course. Just a pity the typed word does not come with that mellow accent... Ay owd lad. (Please forgive my poor attempt).
K2
I have a ne steam engine from chilertern steam I think there is a large recreation area near them . I YHINK north of london
Byron

Hi Byron, Chiltern hills in Buckinhamshire, are about 200 ~ 250 miles from Lancashire. And Lancashire is well North (4 to 5 hours drive) of London and the Chilterns. The Chilterns are soft chalk, whereas Lancashire mountains are much bigger (Scarfell Pike is the highest in England) made of proper hard rock.
K2

Welcome to this fascinating oars. There a lot of realy great people here with wealth of knowledge. Lots of steam and IC BUILDS.

Byron

My Loyal Toast was ere ´The Duke of Lancaster´, albeit that, whilst born there, I haven't lived there in 50 years.

Her Majesty's loyal subjects in Her Royal Navy always give the Loyal Toast "the Queen, Duke of Lancaster" after dinner. - Something the colonial rebel navy of the USA never do... But other colonials do on occasion.
And by royal order, after King George III banged his head on the deck-head, while rising to acknowledge a Loyal Toast, the Navy never rise to toast "the Duke".
I'll shut-up now.
K2

Welcome aboard Peter (or at least out of the shadows) . Can't wait to see the Boll Aeros. Great little engines. I made two myself. I am addicted to the smell of Ether and castor oil :)

I have yet to see a garage with a car in it.... these are purpose-built workshops with big front-doors to get machinery in and out.

-Patrick

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Here's a peek at an almost complete engine.

I'll stress that this is a joint build with @Jamie Barton who has significantly more running engines under his belt than I do.

IMG_7787.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark,

Your intro sounded eerily similar to someone I know, also based in Lancashire called Mark, who is also working on some Boll Aero 18s in collaboration with myself..

If you're also working on them with someone called Jamie, I can only assume there's been a glitch in the matrix.

Sounds like a wrongun, i'd avoid if i were you...

Latest posts

Back