Hello from Inky Engines - New Member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inky Engines

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Having regularly surfed this site as a guest for several months, and made use of the excellent resource it provides, I feel it’s about time to join the club and introduce myself.

I’m a Mechanical Engineer and Health and Safety Inspector recently in retirement with a lathe, milling machine and plenty of time. My early aspirations were to build a traction engine, but having given the matter (and my rusty machining skills) some serious consideration I settled on a simple wobbler (Elmer’s #25)! Elmer’s Twin Vertical Wobbler #2, Fancy Wobbler #15, Tiny Wobbler #23, Standby #19 and Beam #24 quickly followed ..... it seems I’m addicted to these wonderful little engines!

I’ve attached You Tube videos showing the wobblers and the beam engine, although these were primarily put together for friends and family. So far this year I’ve completed Elmer’s Grasshopper #37 and a 2" diameter vertical steam boiler, and I’m currently building the Mill Engine #33 and Factory Engine #41 combination as inspired by a contributor to the HMEM site - I’ve been amazed at how smoothly these slide valve engines run on little more than 1 - 2 psi - photos and video to follow - sorry, I don't have build photos, but I'll endeavour to take some in future.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0BtzAtanc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkXTikcQtJI[/ame]

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Wow Geoff, you have been very busy.

The fit and finish of your engines is fantastic.

Also you have made a beautiful presentation in your display and video's.

As you said it seems your addiction has taken a strong hold of you.

Nice work!

Welcome Geoff. That's already a fine collection of engines and very well done too as Kevin already noted. The quality of the videos is excellent as well !! Glad you have decided to leave the "guest" status behind and will be looking forward to your further endeavors in the days ahead.

Regards,
Bill

That is an excellent collection Geoff!!!
I can see that your machines do not have a chance to gather any dust!!! ;D

Welcome to the forum!!

How about some pics of your machines and workshop?

Andrew

Very nice work. Your machining skills must have been fantastic before they became so rusty.

Wow excellent Geoff !
I am currently busy with my first wobbler also an Elmer's 25 but in my case there were no skills to go rusty in the first place :)

Not only are the engines and the way you displayed them so lovely, but what an incredibly professional video as well.

Clive

Geoff,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Gentlemen

Thank you for your welcome messages and kind comments.

I undertook a mechanical engineering apprenticeship including toolroom machining between 1969 and 1973, but I hadn't used a lathe or milling machine since until last year - hence my claim to 'rusty" skills.

Andrew asked for a workshop picture so here it is (taken when tidy!):

Workshop.jpg

A Warco WM250 lathe and WM14 Milling Machine. I mounted the machine benches on Footmaster castors which provide an easy levelling vibration free mounting with the casters up, and easy movement of the benches with the castors screwed down. The BBQ in the foreground is now a brazing hearth!

I'll post details of my Elmer's Grasshopper #37 engine just as soon as I get the video put together. The dilemma is whether to take pictures of the Grasshopper, or to make some more bits for the Elmer's Mill #33 and Factory #41 engine combination!!

Kind regards

Geoff from Inky Engines

Geoff

Welcome to the forum.

You have a fine collection of engines there :bow:.

Vince

Welcome to the board.

My early aspirations were to build a traction engine in retirement with a lathe, milling machine and plenty of time.

!!Elmer’s Twin Vertical Wobbler #2, Fancy Wobbler #15, Tiny Wobbler #23, Standby #19 and Beam #24 quickly followed ..... it seems I’m addicted to these wonderful little engines!
The late great Rudy Kouhoupt told me wobblers are like potato chips you cant have just one.
So when are you starting the traction engine?
Tin

Latest posts

Back