Hello from India

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Hi,
I am Nikhil, a marine engineer by profession.
I have been working on ships as an engineer for last 20 years.
I have been visiting this site for last 5 or so years but signed up today.
I made my first model a Stirling Engine when i was studying engineering. It worked but required a lot of heat.
I then tried to make a steam engine on ships machinery but could not find time.
I bought a Seig C4 lathe 2-3 years back and made some steam engines. Could not really run them as I don't have access to boiler or air compressor at home. I made most of it from zinc that i liberated from ship stock.

Its difficult to get material for project in India at least where I live. And DIY or home machine shop culture has negligible presence here.

I have ordered 2 casting kits from PM Research for my next project.
I am also planning to buy a Seig mill.

Regards
Nikhil

Welcome to the forum, Nikhil.
Being a marine engineer, you will have a good grounding in things mechanical and getting your first engine - a Stirling - to run is a great achievement.
If you have any questions regarding future projects, just ask. There are plenty of experienced and helpful folk on this forum.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi Nikhil,
Maybe you should look around at scrapyards for derelict machinery. Parts from old machines ( for instance shafts) are a good source for quality materials.

Jos

Welcome, Nikhil! What part of India? I was able to spend a couple of weeks in south (Kerala) a few years ago, and keep hoping to get another opportunity to visit more of the country.

Welcome, Nikhil! What part of India? I was able to spend a couple of weeks in south (Kerala) a few years ago, and keep hoping to get another opportunity to visit more of the country.
Hi,
I am from Vidharba region in central india.
We have several tiger reserves located inour region.
If you come to India do visit here.

regards
Nikhil

Hello Nikhil,

Welcome to our great group. I am glad you decided to create an account and participate.

I can often be found at our local scrap yard looking for materials to use. I do not wait until I have a specific requirement, rather I just stop by the scrap yard every few weeks to see what they have taken in recently that I may use.

For example whenever I come across a usable bit of bronze, brass, cast iron bar or nice steel I will grab a bit and toss it in my “bone box”. I feel it is better to pay scrap price for a little material I may never need instead of paying ten times as much for a specific piece of material for a project.

As for your milling machine goes: I use the Axminster flavour of Sieg machines and am quite satisfied with their “bang for the buck”.

My mill is the SX2, which I find perfect for the model engineering I engage in. Just right for my small shop.

Once again Welcome,
Jenny

Latest posts

Back