Hello from Illinois

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rongee

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member and new to metalworking as well. Living in the northwest suburbs outside of Chicago.

I'm 67 and 109 days from retirement (not that I'm counting or anything). I've done woodworking on and off for a long time, and am pretty good working with my hands. Currently re-wiring the mount on my telescope, so, a lot of detail work there. In my day job, I was for a long time strictly a software technology guy, but these days I'm more of a software product developer, working with the techies to create new products.

Mostly, tho, I like building things.

There are a number of things I'd like to try my hand at, and I'll be opening threads to discuss those, because I have no idea at this point what kind of tools I'm actually going to need, and the path to getting enough expertise to actually build those things. (as you might expect, most of my tools are aimed at woodworking) But, in short, small engines, replicas of astronomy tools when those were works of art (orreries, astrolabes, etc), and jewelry making (primarily rings, I think).

I've been reading and learning about these things for the past few years, so I've go some ideas, but I'm hear to learn a lot more, talk about my plans, and try to not get too far ahead of myself. And, of course, become a contributing member of the community. As I learn from you guys, maybe there are some areas where I know things that might be helpful.

Welcome to the forum Rongee. Looking forward to your posts and any future projects. Would like to mix a couple of days of your weather with ours at the moment, my shed is like a pizza oven. Cheers, Peter.

Welcome! Consider visiting the Chicago Model Engineers Association, northwest group. We meet 1st Monday of the month in Mt. Prospect.

Welcome to the forum Rongee. Looking forward to your posts and any future projects. Would like to mix a couple of days of your weather with ours at the moment, my shed is like a pizza oven. Cheers, Peter.
It was a balmy +6 here yesterday, but a more reasonable +25 today. I like the seasons, but man, the extremes of winter and summer start to wear on ya after awhile. :)

Welcome! Consider visiting the Chicago Model Engineers Association, northwest group. We meet 1st Monday of the month in Mt. Prospect.
Well, as long as you're welcoming of folks short on knowledge and equipment (for now), but long on wanting to learn and see what people are doing, I'd love to stop by. I'm so new here I don't even know if we can do private messaging. If so, maybe you could send me more details. Thanks.

Back