Hello from Fargo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyp

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking around here for a bit, but I don't think I did an introduction. I pickup up a HF mini lathe >10 years ago and have access to a bridgeport at work and I learned the basics. I just picked up a HF 33686 mill for a price that I had no choice but to buy it. I have been messing with RC planes and helis lately, but that itch is not as bad anymore and I am getting back into machining small engine projects. I've always been into engines and all things mechanical and I've been into electronics as a hobby and professionally since I was a kid (I'm in the neighborhood of 50 now). I have many interests and I do lots for DIY projects that the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.
Scott

Hello Scottyp Welcome to the group.
I am from Jamestown just west of you. I am retired now and spend time doing various diy projects and building small engines. I have a youtube channel where you can see what I'm up to.
doc0455

Super cool. I have actually seen some of you Demon videos. You have lots of great content! I grew up in Jamestown, went to school in the Fargo area back in '85 and haven't left.

Greetings to a "former Neighbor". I'm originally from about 50 miles east of you in Fergus Falls, MN. Unfortunately, now living out in the east coast in Virginia.

Just had to cancel my trip to the Rollag show over Labor Day. The show was just cancelled because of the pandemic. They always have a fantastic amount of old equipment and this year was to be The Otto Expo. There are always a lot of incredibly intricate working models. I will try to make it next year.

Just had to cancel my trip to the Rollag show over Labor Day. The show was just cancelled because of the pandemic. They always have a fantastic amount of old equipment and this year was to be The Otto Expo. There are always a lot of incredibly intricate working models. I will try to make it next year.

I usually go to Rollag for the Western Mn Steam Threshers show every year. I believe this is the first time that it has ever been canceled.

Sadly the Thresherman’s Reunion has been cancelled here and I will miss it. Really enjoyed the show. The museum gets their traction engines and early gas tractors going. I especially like all the little on farm steam setups from two turn of the centuries ago. And the hit and miss tent. Their collection of weird and wonderful small engines is incredible.

Sadly the Thresherman’s Reunion has been cancelled here and I will miss it. Really enjoyed the show. The museum gets their traction engines and early gas tractors going. I especially like all the little on farm steam setups from two turn of the centuries ago. And the hit and miss tent. Their collection of weird and wonderful small engines is incredible.
I am an antique car guy, and they have now canceled events that have NEVER been canceled before. Nearly all the antique car tours until the end of this year have been canceled. The National Meets for the Franklin Club and and REO club have been canceled until next year. The HERSHEY swap meet (I believe it is more correctly known as the AACA Fall Meet) has been canceled, for the first time in 65 years. (They didn't even cancel it for the Cuban Missile Crisis!) ("Screw those Atomic Bombs! I really need this magic frammis for my Model T!")
But I think it is all for the best. Hopefully by next year, there will be a vaccine, and high-risk groups (Like old guys interested in machinery, for instance) will be able to gather in huge crowds, open-mouthed in amazement at some rusty piece of metal that is shaped like an 'L" and has bolt in it.
Which Reminds Me of A Story:
When I first went to Hershey a few years ago, I was wandering the aisles, when 2 guys in an antique electric car drove past. I was standing in the middle of the aisle, gazing in fascination after they passed, when someone honked a bulb horn behind me. It was 2 more guys, this time in a Locomobile Steamer, just cruising the grounds. I got out of the way, but as I did, I thought "Holy Crap! This is like a recreation of 1903! Local hick stands in middle of road gaping at one of these new-fangled horseless carriages, and nearly gets run over!" It made me laugh! (It's not like they were racing along. They were probably doing 1 mph or less, not even walking speed.) ("Scorching!" would be a term reserved for 5 mph or more, you galoots!)

I hate to admin it, but I have not yet been over to Rollag, I do need to get there. I have enough friends that go and keep telling me about it. Maybe I'm afraid that I would not be able to get out of there. Oshkosh is another one I'd like to get to one of these years. Speaking of Model T's, I was involved in producing an alternative T ignition system a while back (sorry to the purists). I'd like to do a kitchen sink engine also for it's crude simplicity and tribute to history.

Last edited:
I hate to admin it, but I have not yet been over to Rollag, I do need to get there. I have enough friends that go and keep telling me about it. Maybe I'm afraid that I would not be able to get out of there. Oshkosh is another one I'd like to get to one of these years. Speaking of Model T's, I was involved in producing an alternative T ignition system a while back (sorry to the purists). I'd like to do a kitchen sink engine also for it's crude simplicity.
Rollag and Oshkosh are both MUST-SEES before you die. Both are incredible.
I have the plans for the Ford Kitchen engine, and I am building one now. I am putting the original piston-contact ignition system in mine, since that was the whole point of why Henry Ford built his kitchen engine in the first place. He was trying to develop an ignition system before spark plugs existed. I also have the plans for the Ford Quadricycle, and it too, will have the original Ford piston-contact ignition system on it. They have both systems shown in the plans. If I can get it to work reliably, I will be very pleased.

Is this the the best / only place to find the kitchen sink plans?

Plans and Build Package by Leon Ridenour:
https://sites.google.com/site/fordengine1893/home
Well, the thing is, if you buy the kit from him, you get the small, hard-to-find parts that will really speed things up. The price is really not that bad for what you are getting. I found him to be a pleasure to deal with, and, as it seems it would be nice to have a central point of information for this project, I decided to support him with my order. There are a LOT of mistakes you can make on this project, and many will cost you more in time and effort than the price he charges for the plans and parts. And, if you have questions or problems, he is there to answer them.
(On a side note, I am kind of irked by Mercedes-Benz! Every time someone spends hundreds (or thousands) of dollars, and months or years of work to build an example of the Benz engine, or the Benz automobile, it is an advertisement for Mercedes-Benz, yet they are COMPLETLEY uncooperative about providing any plans or information. Contrast that to Ford Motor Co, who approved the release of the "Kitchen Sink Engine" plans, and the plans for the Ford Quadricycle. In my opinion, MB are just jackasses.)

I have that feeling that I'll be supporting him in the near future as well.
That's a good thing! Really, the guys who do this with small projects are NOT going to get rich. They are contributing to the hobby, and I am sure that generally, taking care of a specific engine that that they like is probably more of a pain in the A** than a great thing for them. Some people are just consumed with a particular engine or project, and wind up becoming a kind of shepherd for all the people who get interested, either in passing or in the long term. Anyone working in a particular category will wind up as a reference source. ("Hey, if you want to know about the magic frammis on those engines, call Joe Blow! He knows all about them!" and the next thing is , you start getting phone calls ) I think Mr. Ridenour is in that category. I doubt that what he is charging for the plans and parts are coming anywhere NEAR what all his expenses were, for doing the research. You can only do so much on-line, before you just have to go and see the real thing, take the measurements, work around the particular archives hours and policies, and I can say that even working in the Ford Archives takes lot of effort.
Which Reminds Me of A Story, but I will hold that for some other time.

I'm in the twin cities. I've been to the Rollag show a few times. It's great. I've got a mini mill and lathe, both cnc. Anybody else in the TC area?

I've been lurking around here for a bit, but I don't think I did an introduction. I pickup up a HF mini lathe >10 years ago and have access to a bridgeport at work and I learned the basics. I just picked up a HF 33686 mill for a price that I had no choice but to buy it. I have been messing with RC planes and helis lately, but that itch is not as bad anymore and I am getting back into machining small engine projects. I've always been into engines and all things mechanical and I've been into electronics as a hobby and professionally since I was a kid (I'm in the neighborhood of 50 now). I have many interests and I do lots for DIY projects that the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.
Scott

Hi. I am originally from Belfield, ND. Now in Amherst, NH. Also messing around with conversion of Griz G0759 to CNC. Hung up a little on doing all the oil passages. G9972Z and Emco Comapct 5 Lathe. Interested in Kozo K27 live steam locomotive but still working on first issue. Just starting in ham radio and SDR KC1MNM

Richard

That's a good thing! Really, the guys who do this with small projects are NOT going to get rich. They are contributing to the hobby, and I am sure that generally, taking care of a specific engine that that they like is probably more of a pain in the A** than a great thing for them. Some people are just consumed with a particular engine or project, and wind up becoming a kind of shepherd for all the people who get interested, either in passing or in the long term. Anyone working in a particular category will wind up as a reference source. ("Hey, if you want to know about the magic frammis on those engines, call Joe Blow! He knows all about them!" and the next thing is , you start getting phone calls ) I think Mr. Ridenour is in that category. I doubt that what he is charging for the plans and parts are coming anywhere NEAR what all his expenses were, for doing the research. You can only do so much on-line, before you just have to go and see the real thing, take the measurements, work around the particular archives hours and policies, and I can say that even working in the Ford Archives takes lot of effort.
Which Reminds Me of A Story, but I will hold that for some other time.
Wait, wait wait! I want to hear that story.

Latest posts

Back