Hello from Ealing. West London

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard P

Reaction score
Hi there, mi name is Richard and I have just joined the forum.

I retired last June and am now spending much more time in the workshop - hoorah! After a few steam engines and some workshop tooling, have recently embarked on my first IC engine - Westbury's Kiwi Mk2 using castings from Hemmingway. I have found the extended thread from vcutajar and the inputs of many forum members to be invaluable so far!

Regards

Richard

Welcome Richard.

I used to know Ealing quite well as a child. Memories of picking up conkers on the Common ! I even lived there briefly before coming here.
Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Yes those mature conkers trees are still all around Ealing Common. It’s a nice part of the world we think!

Cheers

Richard

Welcome to the group
Hope you post photos of your shop too.

Dave

Hi there, mi name is Richard and I have just joined the forum.

I retired last June and am now spending much more time in the workshop - hoorah! After a few steam engines and some workshop tooling, have recently embarked on my first IC engine - Westbury's Kiwi Mk2 using castings from Hemmingway. I have found the extended thread from vcutajar and the inputs of many forum members to be invaluable so far!

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard.. Welcome to the group know the area well, i used to go to school down The Avenue halfway to St Stephens church. Played cricket at Perivale park and Football at Gunnersbury... and the obligatory cross country run around Horsenden Hill. Its changed now from my day.....far too busy... Have fun!
Pst some photo's of your projects

If you like a good read try Nevil Shutes book "Trustee from the Tool Room". I picked it up when I was about 13 and it changed my life. I told my mother that I was going to be a Tool Maker and after a five year apprenticeship with Vickers and BAC and an engineering degree course with Loughborough Uni. I finished up in the tool room at BAC at Hurn working on the tooling for Concord. Am now 73 and still working and loving every minute. The main character lived at Ealing and the last pages of the story brings a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. Well worth a read.

I also have to recommend the book. Towards the end, the main character is on the Olympic Peninsula where I live now and have my shop. Slide Rule by Nevil Shute is another good read.

Hi Richard.. Welcome to the group know the area well, i used to go to school down The Avenue halfway to St Stephens church. Played cricket at Perivale park and Football at Gunnersbury... and the obligatory cross country run around Horsenden Hill. Its changed now from my day.....far too busy... Have fun!
Pst some photo's of your projects
All very familiar haunts for us!

If you like a good read try Nevil Shutes book "Trustee from the Tool Room". I picked it up when I was about 13 and it changed my life. I told my mother that I was going to be a Tool Maker and after a five year apprenticeship with Vickers and BAC and an engineering degree course with Loughborough Uni. I finished up in the tool room at BAC at Hurn working on the tooling for Concord. Am now 73 and still working and loving every minute. The main character lived at Ealing and the last pages of the story brings a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. Well worth a read.
Interesting re Nevi Shute, I'll have to look that up.

Slightly off topic for this forum, but I thought it might be of interest to a few. Last year I had fun restoring a 1952 LE Velocette motorbike that my father-in-law bought as a wreck 20 years ago and never did anything with. It was quite an involved 'lockdown' project that required a complete stripdown of body and engine, together with fabrication of some bits and pieces for the internals of the opposed twin.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 101
Some examples of the detailed work

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 85
Video of engine running back together and running on a rig. And then the finished result!

Attachments

• IMG_6278.mov
    32.9 MB
  • IMG_6331.mov
    13.7 MB
  • IMG_6332.mov
    15.8 MB

Seeing Ealing from a Model Engineer, "Trustee" was my immediate thought also. One of my overall favorite reads, and the top pick of my NSN collection (although lately I have been thinking that the concepts presented in In The Wet may be worth trying). Other authors' physical books have been replaced with eBooks (more portable), but I'm keeping Nevil's hardcopies!

[/QUOT

One of my all time favorites.
I first read this as a kid, sparked my interest in machines.
I read it again as an adult, liked it even better.
When Covid-19 started I was reminded of his book “On the Beach”. Although this book scared me as a kid, i really enjoyed it.
BTW I am also 73.
But I digress...
Welcome!

Attachments

• 2F2FAF25-F4A7-4167-AA76-BF2E2F2574AD.jpeg
    2F2FAF25-F4A7-4167-AA76-BF2E2F2574AD.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 78
I've got that book somewhere. I thimpfks I started it. I'll have to have another go at it.

Back