Hello from Cornwall (UK)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yelcho

Reaction score
Now retired trying to get workshop organised enough to get near machines!
Am lucky enough to have a Ton Senior Major mill but somewhat gnarly chuck (on 2 Morse taper) is stuck.
Any expert advice on freeing 2 Morse taper which refuses to come free. I have nice shiny new chuck on nice shiny new mandrel to stick in hole when there is a hole.

Welcome to the forum.
Would you like to give us your name and perhaps a part of Cornwall where you live?

Re your stuck chuck. I assume that it is held by a drawbar. What form is the drawbar? A rod that is screwed into the chuck at one end and a nut at the head?

If in the vertical head, pour some release fluid (Plus Gas or similar) down the hole. Leave for a day or so then unscrew the drawbar 3 or 4 turns. Try and support the quill from below - pieces of wood between the table and quill would be good, but keep clear of the chuck. This will prevent possible damage to the bearings.

Protect the top of the drawbar with a piece of brass/ali/hardwood and give it a goodly whack with a hammer. Tap,tapping will not do anything.

The same procedure if in the horizontal arbor, but unlikely you will get the release fluid to do any good there and there will not be anything to prevent the hammer shock to the bearings.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
(ex Janner)

Welcome to the forum.
Would you like to give us your name and perhaps a part of Cornwall where you live?

Re your stuck chuck. I assume that it is held by a drawbar. What form is the drawbar? A rod that is screwed into the chuck at one end and a nut at the head?

If in the vertical head, pour some release fluid (Plus Gas or similar) down the hole. Leave for a day or so then unscrew the drawbar 3 or 4 turns. Try and support the quill from below - pieces of wood between the table and quill would be good, but keep clear of the chuck. This will prevent possible damage to the bearings.

Protect the top of the drawbar with a piece of brass/ali/hardwood and give it a goodly whack with a hammer. Tap,tapping will not do anything.

The same procedure if in the horizontal arbor, but unlikely you will get the release fluid to do any good there and there will not be anything to prevent the hammer shock to the bearings.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
(ex Janner)
many thanks for reply, tried that but possibly a bit wusy about weight of whack.
Another Dave I'm afraid, go into any pub and shout "Dave" and half the punters spill their drinks.
Even an ex Janner won't know of Ponsanooth. Equidistant from the employment hotspots of Falmouth, Truro and Falmouth

Dave

many thanks for reply, tried that but possibly a bit wusy about weight of whack.
Another Dave I'm afraid, go into any pub and shout "Dave" and half the punters spill their drinks.
Even an ex Janner won't know of Ponsanooth. Equidistant from the employment hotspots of Falmouth, Truro and Falmouth

Dave
Exuberance of verbosity! What about 'Screwfix'
as suggested?

Latest posts

Back