Hello from Canada.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs

Reaction score
I am mostly a woodworker, but my dad was a tool and die maker. I recently purchased a 50 year old Myford ML7, and the forum posts have been most helpful.

Reactions: Zeb
I hope to begin by making some knurled tool handles to start and then go on from there. I am a complete novice to metal working, although my dad was a tool and die maker (long since passed). Sure wish I had paid more attention while he was alive.
Do you do a lot of lathe work?

I'm very much a newbie still. Still sorting out a bunch of stuff that I've acquired. I find it remarkable how many little task are required before actually being able to make something. For instance, I want to do a flywheel on a rotary table on my round column mill. But I needed to make special studs to hold it to the mill table and tee-nuts to be able to secure anything to the RT. And then the carbide insert cutter I wanted to use to make the tee-nuts didn't work at all (turned out to be wrong inserts in it when I bought it used). Etc, etc. I keep plugging away though.

Craig

From one Newbie to another, there are hundreds of good videos on You Tube to help you get started. Keith Appleton, Joe Pieczynski (Joe Pie), Tubal Cain (Mr Pete), This Old Tony, and especially Blondi Hacks are all excellent. They all have introductory series for beginners.

Craig, there are a couple of great clubs in this area, "Golden Horseshoe Live Steamers" and "Hamilton Model Engineering Club" as they are located in Hamilton they are a bit of a drive for you, however, as a result of Covid19, H.M.E.C. are holding virtual (Zoom) meetings which you might find worth a try as access to experienced modelers is so helpful particularly when starting out. Both clubs have websites so easy to find out more information if you are interested.

Colin
From Burlington

I was briefly on the myford group, but there was a lot of back-biting, and it seemed a bad atmosphere, so I concentrated on a very different group... [email protected]. A fundamental problem is that everyone who knows nothing about model engineering knows they must have a myford, so there was a lot of iffy advice there, too.

Myford produced the final Drummond "M" types from 1943 to 1948 before killing them off in favour of their ML7 series.

-Andrew UK

I was briefly on the myford group, but there was a lot of back-biting, and it seemed a bad atmosphere, so I concentrated on a very different group... [email protected]. A fundamental problem is that everyone who knows nothing about model engineering knows they must have a myford, so there was a lot of iffy advice there, too.

Myford produced the final Drummond "M" types from 1943 to 1948 before killing them off in favour of their ML7 series.

-Andrew UK

Andrew,

Have you considered the Myford lathe Facebook group? Quite a good bunch of folks there, in my opinion.

Welcome to the group

Dave

I am mostly a woodworker, but my dad was a tool and die maker. I recently purchased a 50 year old Myford ML7, and the forum posts have been most helpful.

Latest posts

Back