Hello from California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klrskies

Reaction score
I'm Ken, and I would like to take a few moments to share a bit about myself. I joined HMEM the end of April, 2022 after reviewing a few of the engine builds in progress and completed. I'm currently 63 years old and still working in the mold making industry as a mold maker for consumable medical parts. I am slowing down in my career due to medical reasons and preparation for transition into retirement down the road. In my career...as is normal in business, productivity takes a high priority. I hope to now begin taking the opportunity to slow down and delve into my own fascinations in the machining world. There have been many interests over the years that have peaked my interests, but time did not allow further exploration.
I began my fascination with engines as a boy, dismantling, and with the help of a local small engine mechanic, rebuilding a Lawnboy 2 stroke mower engine when I was 12. When it finally ran, it was the beginning of lifelong fascination with engines. I hope to enjoy, learn and share this fascination in the coming years.
Best regards,
Ken

Welcome Ken, from a fellow Californian. I am in the SF Bay Area. There's quite a number of model machinists around, and other ways to exercise non-work-related machining skills. There's Bay Area Engine Modelers, various live steam locomotive builders running on anything from 1-1/4" to 7-1/2" gauge and even real locomotives (Niles Canyon), school robotics programs that need mentors, amateur race car builders, and lots more.

Thank you rklopp, I used to live and work in Fremont on the east side of the bay. Great weather! Here's a photo of my little shop set up in the corner of my living room...I like to have a good western on TV while I mess about on projects and be adjacent to the fridge and in controlled environment. I have health conditions that prevent me from getting out too much...work and errands are enough for me most of the time. Here's a Piston, Rod and Wrist Pin I made just for fun. Put DRO's on my mill last week. I'm doing quite a bit of work on the little lathe to straighten up. Much to do, but I'm in no great hurry, hoping to enjoy the ride!
Regards,
Ken
WIN_20220501_10_58_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220501_11_16_10_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I'm Ken, and I would like to take a few moments to share a bit about myself. I joined HMEM the end of April, 2022 after reviewing a few of the engine builds in progress and completed. I'm currently 63 years old and still working in the mold making industry as a mold maker for consumable medical parts. I am slowing down in my career due to medical reasons and preparation for transition into retirement down the road. In my career...as is normal in business, productivity takes a high priority. I hope to now begin taking the opportunity to slow down and delve into my own fascinations in the machining world. There have been many interests over the years that have peaked my interests, but time did not allow further exploration.
I began my fascination with engines as a boy, dismantling, and with the help of a local small engine mechanic, rebuilding a Lawnboy 2 stroke mower engine when I was 12. When it finally ran, it was the beginning of lifelong fascination with engines. I hope to enjoy, learn and share this fascination in the coming years.
Best regards,
Ken
Welcome from North Texas

Hi Ken !

Welcome !
And thanks for your comment in my thread !

Best regards,
Ken

Welcome to the group from California
What part of California are you in?

Dave

Best regards,
Ken
Come to a Bay Area Engine Modelers meeting this month, Ken. We meet in Tilden Park at the Golden Gate Live Steamer's clubhouse. The third Saturday of the month at 10 A.M. Call our President for more details or just show up. www.baemclub.com for more information and directions. Several of us live around Vallejo if you want to visit.

Welcome from North Texas
Welcome to the group I’m retired mech engineer former tool maker. Automation was my real line but I delved into aerospace and some military projects currently into steam engines . Ironically I never studied steam very much so I’ve had to re educate quite a bit too fuel auto racing for some time . Lots of auto work over the years streetrods for many years . Not supposed to drive now. Huge unconvinced not even supposed to go into shop at all let alone make chips . Try not to injure anyone. But myself .
Byron

welcome to the site lots of great people here

here
Best regards,
Ken

Welcome to the group I’m retired mech engineer former tool maker. Automation was my real line but I delved into aerospace and some military projects currently into steam engines . Ironically I never studied steam very much so I’ve had to re educate quite a bit too fuel auto racing for some time . Lots of auto work over the years streetrods for many years . Not supposed to drive now. Huge unconvinced not even supposed to go into shop at all let alone make chips . Try not to injure anyone. But myself .
Byron
Thank you Byron,
Hope your doing ok. I have some health issues myself so my hobby takes a backseat to working... 11 hours today, too much! I've been thinking about trying to build a single cylinder diesel. High pressure fuel injector is a challenge, but may be interesting. I've also been messing around with Shortwave Radio listening... another interest from my younger days that I'm making time to explore now. Life goes by so fast doesn't it? We enjoy it best we can!
Best regards Bryon,
Ken

Latest posts

Back