Hello From Behind The Redwood Curtain

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomarc

Reaction score
Hello community,

My name is Stuart Miller, I'm a 75 year old retired Millwright living in Eureka, CA. I have a small machine shop at my home and have built several models engines from castings over the years. First was a Stuart Turner beam engine in 1971 followed by a Stuart Turner triple expansion kit that I'm 'sort of' working on now.

I look forward to participating and hope I have something to add to this forum.

Stuart Miller/atomarc

Welcome Stuart: I too am working on a triple. Very fussy on valve timing but satisfying when you get it to rotate. Does not run well on compressed air, Mine will run on LP, IP or both of these together but not if HP is connected, Will run on HP alone though. Get back at it so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong . Colin

Colin,

Thanks for the note. I can't advise you yet on your timing or running issue as I haven't got to that stage yet, although I would think if your valve slide is accurate and tight that the engine should really run on compressed air..maybe not though. Keep at it..you'll figure it out.

Stuart

I may be wrong , and probably am, but triple expansions run on steam only.
hence the name triple expansion. Air doesn't do that.

Last edited:
You are right propclock ,they run better on steam but they will run on comp.air .Check out Keith Appletons videos on You tube .My problem is fiddleing with the timing and valve position enough to get it to run on all 3 cyl.at the same time. Setting the valve position on the IP cylinder requires a partial disassmbly of the engine every time you decide to make an adjustment.I had hoped that atomarc had progressed far enough with his model to advise. Colin

Colin,

I'm sorry I have no pointers for you...my cozy chair next to the fire seems a bit more attractive these days than does the shop.

Stuart

Welcome Stuart: I too am working on a triple. Very fussy on valve timing but satisfying when you get it to rotate. Does not run well on compressed air, Mine will run on LP, IP or both of these together but not if HP is connected, Will run on HP alone though. Get back at it so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong . Colin
Can you send a photo or better yet, a drawing of how the pistons work? and the method of how th e valves work? What kind of valves are they? It certainly sounds like a timing issue. But it might also be something to do with how the pistons themselves are timed in relation to each other.

Hello community,

My name is Stuart Miller, I'm a 75 year old retired Millwright living in Eureka, CA. I have a small machine shop at my home and have built several models engines from castings over the years. First was a Stuart Turner beam engine in 1971 followed by a Stuart Turner triple expansion kit that I'm 'sort of' working on now.

I look forward to participating and hope I have something to add to this forum.

Stuart Miller/atomarc
Hi Stuart,
I live in Shelter Cove..small world....I be older retired guy... had some millwright experience in my early career (hunnert years ago). I have also built several model engines, mostly gas ICE...getting ready to build one more.
Ray M

Hi Stuart,
I live in Shelter Cove..small world....I be older retired guy... had some millwright experience in my early career (hunnert years ago). I have also built several model engines, mostly gas ICE...getting ready to build one more.
Ray M
Ray,

Shelter Cove..who'd thunk! My wife and I were down there last year and had lunch at the Gyppo Mill. Do you ever dabble in steam engines...I have a real big one I'm not going to get to, and you being near, this monster would be deliverable.

Nice hearing from you, keep in touch, and if you're ever up this way, give me a call and we can BS.

Stuart Miller
445-2735

Hi Everyone
I am just starting my Stuart Triple it is a daunting task. I am a semi retired machinist 71 years old I have built 3 steam models over the last 3years I get to run them on steam every month at our model club. I have put my efforts on YouTube emers steam models have a look and let me know your thoughts. I would like peoples comment as my build progresses. I have attached some pics of my progress to date.
I do not know the rules here regards posting information should I start a new post for this build or can people follow on this thread
Stuart Triple Parts.jpg
Stuart  Base.jpg

Reactions: Zeb
Hi Everyone
I am just starting my Stuart Triple it is a daunting task. I am a semi retired machinist 71 years old I have built 3 steam models over the last 3years I get to run them on steam every month at our model club. I have put my efforts on YouTube emers steam models have a look and let me know your thoughts. I would like peoples comment as my build progresses. I have attached some pics of my progress to date.
I do not know the rules here regards posting information should I start a new post for this build or can people follow on this threadView attachment 131244View attachment 131245
Ah, well, the rules are: you have to send me a kit so I can practice whatever you are doing at the time. You don't believe me? Well, I'm 72, so I have seniority rights. Also, I was raised by wolves (see another post about all that) and you wouldn't want to anger my foster parents or their relatives. I'll be waiting for it in the mail.

In the mean time, could you tell me which parts are the standard and which parts are the cylinders? I'm not sure I see them in this photo. Can I ask a question? Are you going operate the lights at the Sydney Opera HOuse with that triple? Do you actually live IN Sydney? or near it?

BTW, the job you have done on that base is beautiful. Could you tell me what those two little outboard -- I don't know what to call them -- bosses? would that be correct? the two cylinders? what are they for? I can hardly sit still waiting for my package to be able to follow along with what you are doing.

And THANX for joining the forum.

At the present time I am building three separate engines, a Stuart Horizontal, a Stuart Vertical and a Corliss. The two Stuarts are on hold till I can get a mill set up for milling operations. I'm doing some of the little picky parts to the Corliss at the present. Some of the parts are REALLY picky. I have a little cap for the governor damper that I have to make. I dread doing it, however, I have itall planned out and will do it tomorrow. If the part were larger, it would be a snap to make, but it's the tiny size and inside threads. I made the mating part today which also had a female thread and a male thread.

I look forward to watching your build. Continue the good work.

Last edited:
Welcome Stuart. Always nice to have some new blood.

Mark T
Hey Mark, did you notice the two guys in your neck of the wood on this post? BTW, the new guy is Emer, not Stuart. Stuart joined earlier this year.

I am about to start getting together a package for you. Do you need some carbide chips? I have some that I don't have holders for. I will have to make holders, as I have quite a few. Also, I have some rather large screws for holding carbides but I don't have gthe holders fofr them, so don't need them, maybe a couple so I could possibly make the carbide bit tool holder. I noticed these carbides are extremely sharp. I'll talk to you later about this as I have a lot of stuff from those auctions.

Hi Stuart
How far along with your triple are you. Have you completed much and do you still have all the drawings. My location is Sydney Australia, I live about 15 miles west of the city, Yes we use metric distance here but I was brought up when we still used imperial measurement system.
I did my apprenticeship on the railways from 1966 when steam was still used for mainline goods haulage so that is where I got my love of steam. The 2 round sections on the base are for the water pump and the air pump all listed in the parts list. So do I still put any updates to my model here or should I start a new post with the details of my build.
Cheers
Emers

Hi Stuart
How far along with your triple are you. Have you completed much and do you still have all the drawings. My location is Sydney Australia, I live about 15 miles west of the city, Yes we use metric distance here but I was brought up when we still used imperial measurement system.
I did my apprenticeship on the railways from 1966 when steam was still used for mainline goods haulage so that is where I got my love of steam. The 2 round sections on the base are for the water pump and the air pump all listed in the parts list. So do I still put any updates to my model here or should I start a new post with the details of my build.
Cheers
Emers
I don't know anything about the model, however, it has both an air pump and a water pump build in. Hmmph. That's pretty cool. I can hardly wait to see more.

You are right propclock ,they run better on steam but they will run on comp.air .Check out Keith Appletons videos on You tube .My problem is fiddleing with the timing and valve position enough to get it to run on all 3 cyl.at the same time. Setting the valve position on the IP cylinder requires a partial disassmbly of the engine every time you decide to make an adjustment.I had hoped that atomarc had progressed far enough with his model to advise. Colin
Have you been progressing on your triple expansion engine? Have you got photos?

the new guy is Emer, not Stuart. Stuart joined earlier this year

Are you just messing with my head Richard. Emers joined in 2019 and Stuart joined March of 2021. So I think I got it right, now I don't know that as a fact I just know that its true.

AS always I love gifts of tools. Give me a ring when you have the time. Always good to talk with you.

Mark T

Are you just messing with my head Richard. Emers joined in 2019 and Stuart joined March of 2021. So I think I got it right, now I don't know that as a fact I just know that its true.

AS always I love gifts of tools. Give me a ring when you have the time. Always good to talk with you.

Mark T
Damn, you're right. But it says that Stuart joined in March. My mistake. The way Emer wrote, I thot he was a noobi, not knowing the rules and all that. Well, I hope he sends me a kit soon. He should feel sorry for me, after all being raised by Wolves who couldn't even write was quite an experience.

Hi Emers. Since U asked, maybe better to start a new thread with your engine title in it.
So in the future some poor bastardo looking for information on that engine can gleen some inspiration from your build. Just my opinion.
And Richard, i’ll call your 72 and raise you one. 73 here.
What a bunch of geezers,
Let’s be careful out there, we dont need no stinking broken hips.
Cheers

Back