Hello from Australia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johno1958

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi..

Im John, from Bendigo,Australia.

After lurking for ages I thought it maybe time to introduce my self.

I have little knowledge of machining, just cnc Chinese flat bed router and a little experience
with a hobbymat md65 lathe and mill combo witch I had 35 yrs ago. It proved too expensive for me at the time
so I sold it on. At the moment I have a Sieg x2.7 mill which I bought because of a price jump about to happen
down here.Now its time to save for a lathe.
I'm thinking of a Sieg sc4 or a Titan TL210V.The Titan only 400mm between centers.
The sc4 is $1799
The TL210V is $1390 but comes with.

3 Jaw 100mm chuck self centering with reverse jaws

4 Jaw 100mm independent chuck

MT3 Dead Center

MT2 Dead Center

Fixed &Travelling Steadies

Most of these are not included with the sc4.

If anyone has knowledge of the Titan I would be grateful to hear about it as reviews for it seem to be
non existent.

My interests include IC engines, My ordinary little hit and miss by Rudy is a beautiful example of what
I would eventually be able to make.
Also Electronic Dividing Head by Chuck Fellows as I would like to make my own gears sooner or later.
Cheers.
John

Welcome John, I like your home town of Bendigo, a lot of history and old buildings from the gold rush days. I also want to make an electronic dividing head one day, gears are easy to make, but would be a lot easier to do the divisions electronically. There have been some great posts on how to do it on the forum.

Paul.

Welcome from Perth John. As Swifty says, making gears is relatively simple as long as you have something capable of doing the divisions, electronics is not required although makes it a bit easier. However you make them, there is a huge amount of satisfaction once you successfully make a set.

Welcome aboard John. Like you, I am on a large learning curve over the last 4 years. I am 85 years old this month, no training in lathe or mill work and am self taught. I have a 9x20 lathe which I consider is way above a lot of lathes.It is virtually a miniature professional lathe, everything is adjustable. A lot can be learnt about this lathe from Steve Bedair's 9 x 20 web site. Also just bought an Optimum BF16 mill and fitting DRO's to it. I live in Koroit near Warrnambool. I would be happy to help any way possible. Enjoy yopur time with HMEM as I have done for many years.

Hi John,i bought the SC4 from Melbourne tool or Aussie store melbourne
stock them.Would highly recommend it.You do get a lot with it and i did bargain them to include cutting tools and a keyless chuck for the same with a free faceplt.Bought a 4 jaw chuck as an extra.the fixed and travelling steadilies i can live without as i have never used them.Lookup Aussie srtores website they are good to deal with.I have also done a thread under Bazmak
Regards barry Adelaide

Hello John, The lathe I bought is a SM 0920 A from Asset Plant in Melbourne. I originally looked at an SC4 but price was too dear. My lathe is $1395 with nearly all the accessories you need. The stand out feature I find to be a delight to use is the tool less lock on the tail stock.I have never regretted owning this machine.

Thanks for all the good will. :)

Paul the area is is quite historic and I have found a little gold ..very little
which I used up as a sacrificial anode for gold plating.

Yes Barry that's where I got the mill from and the sc4 is so far my first choice, although
I will checkout the SM 0920 from Asset Plant before I make decision.
Cheers
John

Gday and welcome John from south oz

Hi Bazmak
Yep very impressed with the sc4 review. It is a pitty about the reverse tumbler.
I only have a picture of the workings of the spindle disengaging feature so I can't tell much.
Is there room inside there for an idler gear and some way to mount it.
Lol trying to upload the picture :rant:not quite sure how.
Regards
John

Found out how

sc41.jpg

Hi John,the chuck disengage is no use at all only if you buy the milling attach
and its cheaper to buy a mill.I did a thread on refurbing an advance lathe
and made a tumbler reverse for it .See thread.Hadnt looked to see if it possible on the Sc4.More important things like making chips.

Well it took me a year longer to get one than I thought but Yahoo!!!
I got a Sieg SC4. Now to get some other bits and bobs and start to make
some practice stuff.
Just a question on quick change tool posts . Is the sieg one ok or should I go for
the 0xa tormach one which is more pricey.

Cheers John

Hello John.
Welcome from South Australia. This forum is a mine of informatiom.
If you have a problem or query somebody will have the answer or a suggestion.
All the best for your future projects.
Cheers, Bill.

Hi John, welcome from Perth.
Nice lil Chrissy prezzie you got there!
I also have an SC4, a huge improvement on the C3 I had before.
Enjoy!

I would avoid the Sieg QCTP, I had one on the C3, usable but ultimately crap.
For the SC4 I went with the Dixon/Dickson style popular in the UK and often seen on Myfords, mine is made by SOBA, bought through Chronos in the UK but they do often have stock issues.
The OXA style is popular in the US and probably more available.

Gday Johno
How ya Going Mate
Pete

Latest posts

Back