Hello from Australia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb

Reaction score
My name is John.
I am just starting to get into model engines.
I have a little x1super mill and am lookingto get a little lath soon.
I was thinking of starting a simple engine first like one from Elmer.
One day I would love to make a radial engine or a v8 like some that are here but hat is a long time away if ever.
I am learning as I go and have been watching here for some time and looking at how to do things.
Unfortunatly I don't work in the engineering field so can't score scrap material and am always on the scrounge for bits.
Pease be nice to me if I ask some stupid questions but like I say I am new to this.
Thanks john.

Hi John,

Welcome from faraway Singapore. Gus started out years ago with next to nothing.But
began buying a mini lathe and a mini mill and of course a drill press also.
A very simple Elmer Engine will be a good beginner.

There are many Ozzie forum members every ready to help out.

Hi John, welcome to the site. Whereabouts in Australia do you live? Ask plenty of questions, the guys on here are very helpful, and bear in mind that there are no stupid questions, just things that you don't know yet.

Paul.

Welcome John, I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

Jim

Welcome John. Good luck in choosing your first project. We all had to start where you are so just keep at it.

You may find some decent metal stock at good prices if you can locate some metalworking shops near you. I can get most of my stock that way but it took a few years to find them. In many cases the owners will be glad to sell cut offs at scrap prices.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks a lot fellas.
There isn't a lot around me as I am in a little place called Bamaga.
This is at the top of Australia.
Postage to here costs a heap.
But I keep my eyes open at everthing I can find.

I wasnt sure where that was so I had a look, beautiful country up there. My young bloke wants to see it at some stage

Hay John
it really is a small world. Im from Bamaga as well, but a long long time ago. ;D
My Father ran the local Sawmill there for many years
Pete

Hi john,
Welcome to HMEM.
I was up there once, a long, long time ago, when I lived in Weipa.
Good luck with your engines and ask away as there are a lot of helpfull people on this forum with a lot of experiance.
Cheers mate.:)

Bamaga looks like a good place to be right now. It was 8.3 degrees in my workshop yesterday (and 5.5 degrees outside).

Dunno why I stay here really.

Jim

Hi John,

As I said,there will be many Ozzie members helping out.
Bamaga.How faraway are you from Darwin?
Planning a Barra fishing trip next year.My local record is 8 kg and planning to go for the 15----30kg Barras. See you.

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome. It is nice up here but it is like any place with their good points and bad. Both Metalmad and Ausdier would know what i mean. We get what we call the wet season and the dry season and in the wet everything gets very very wet witt monsoons and cyclones.
Gus the distane to here from Darwin if you were a crow is about 1300km.
John.

map.jpg

waves too you from across the gulf in Darwin
YER , 'build up' is early this year , first rains tonight in Darwin , last years " no show " of a wet sucked , i like the wet season ,
More of a cnc pattern maker and metal caster here , i dont own a mill ,and lathe is a tiny china job with a blown motor , so i stripped it down , and install it on my wood lathe for power , lol, if i keep things small ,most objects fit in the cnc ( 100mm dia 4th axis)

Back