Hello from a clockmaker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not exactly an enginemaker, but am surely a micromachining addict. I enjoy immensely the sequences and solutions all model engineers use and find. A build log of one of my clocks is: #5 Regulator progress I have a Hardinge DV 5-9, four watchmaker's lathes, a Clausing 12" x 24" lathe, and a small Dyna mill that I've upgraded with modern ballscrews and control system. I'm currently in the middle of progress on my Regulator Clock #7. I apprenticed to a Scottish clockmaker almost 50 years ago, but never followed up on that career. I am now retired from my business of ornamental and structural construction ironwork; gates, railings, staircases, etc., and am able to work full time on my clocks.

Thanks for being here,
John MacArthur

Sorry about all the posts; they kept disappearing as I posted them and I finally gave up. Now all three are there. Here are a couple of pics of my #4 regulator:

Thank you for asking,
Johnny

Attachments

• SmDSCN0865V2.jpg
    SmDSCN0865V2.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2308a.JPG
    DSCN2308a.JPG
    846.4 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful clock . I wish to be able to build one but in my
country brass for gears and other parts is terrible expensive.
John is clock mechanism of you own design or is copied from an existing clock ?

Thank you Kadora - This clock and all my others are individually designed by myself, patterned after classical regulator construction which has been perfected over almost 300 years. Brass is not cheap here either - we do what we must.

Johnny

Back